Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
406 replies 31.9K views

Replies

• wmfwmf Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m missing my library too Rosewood. Sooooo much! I tend to do the same as you, read all by the good finds. 
  • Ladybird2Ladybird2 Forumite
    25 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I love the Cazalet family saga too. Charly27 did you know there was a 5th book published in 2012 to finish off the series?
    I have just bought "A Horseman Riding By", a three book series by RF Delderfield. I think you may enjoy this if you like family sagas spanning decades. 
    I've been buying books from WH Smith recently and the delivery service has been excellent.
  • Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    326 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    ladybird I thought I’d read them all but I must check. I do love a good family saga. I loved ‘The Horseman Riding By’ and also picked up the whole Poldark set in a CS  before it was revamped recently for TV. I think I preferred Delderfield as a writer. I lost interest in the steam engine and tin mine descriptions at times. 
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read in 2020 41/60.
    Currently reading ‘Me and White Supremacy’ Layla Saad.
    #20 in 2020 5/20
    Stitching Animal Patchwork Sampler by The Historical Sampler Company
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I was about 16 someone recommended A Horseman Riding By to me, I've never read it but have always remembered his enthusiasm when telling me about it, I doubt it was really for a 16 year old plus I particularly disliked the person recommending it to me.  I will add it to my list of books to hunt down. 

I have finished The Familiars by Stacey Halls, this was a very easy read that didn't take any effort and  I enjoyed it.  I have moved on to The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, I love things set in desolate snowy landscapes so this should go down well with me.

I'm missing the library too and charity shops, vintage shops and second hand bookshops.  We were supposed to go to Northumberland for Easter and I always spend about half a day in Barters Books up there, in winter it is heaven, they have a log fire and sofas where you can sit with a cuppa and read your books.  I buy the bare minimum online, I love the high street and always support bricks and mortar stores, I plan to buy a Macmillan Collectors Library copy of A Christmas Carol when I can get back out, there are several other titles they do that I would like too.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66
  • carolbeecarolbee Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching A Horseman riding by on TV years ago, and then went on to read the book. Love the sound of Barters 😀
    Carolbee
  • rosewoodsparosewoodspa Forumite
    13 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    I loved the Delderfield books but never saw them on TV. As well as A Horseman Riding By  series I can recommend the Swan Saga which is a trilogy that starts with God is an Englishman and is about the development of the railways through the story of one family. Also a lovely one about a schoolteacher, which was also televised I believe, called To Serve Them All My Days.
    I have just downloaded a book called Deadliest Enemy - Our War Against Germs which seemed apt at the current time.
    This week I also re-read Undercurrents by Nora Roberts and started the Kirov trilogy by Cynthia Harrod Eagles. I like her police series about Bill Slider but this is the first of her historical ones I've tried.
  • edited 30 April at 2:48PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    23.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 April at 2:48PM
    Just finished another 900 page epic doorstop.
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb.b
    It's not a new book, been out a few years now, and I mainly picked it up because I was grabbing huge books from the library to keep me going.
    It's about twins, one who has paranoid schizophrenia, and the narrator who is his brother. It's about the relationship between them but also about the family history and how previous family dynamics and history impact on the present.
    It did take me a while to get into  and for the first bits I was thinking it could have done with being edited to a more reasonable length but after about a quarter of the way in I was hooked, and it was a "stay up stupidly late to keep reading" kind of book. I enjoyed it but it's too heavy to read in the bath!. 

As far as where I get my book ideas from, browsing in the library or the Guardian weekly review section. I make a note of those that look interesting then wait a few months to see if the library gets them in or not. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    23.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I has also just started Frankissstein by Jeanette Winterson but it was an ebook and I didn't renew it in time.
    Wasn't far enough in to decide whether to bother to try to get it out again - has anyone else read it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • betasambetasam Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Hello, sorry to have been missing for so long; I am really struggling to concentrate on reading since the lockdown. I am attempting to read a few pages at lunchtime if I can escape the hospital for a few minutes!
    11. Death of yesterday by M C Beaton. Hamish Macbeth - I enjoyed the earlier books in the series but find the later ones quite contrived and silly!
    I started to read Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks but have laid it aside as I don't think that reading about the plague is a good idea. Currently trying to finish Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.
  • tealadytealady Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love anything by Deric Longden (now deceased, sadly). He was a cat lover, and when I 1st read The Cat That Came In From The Cold I nearly fell off my bus seat laughing (it was an old bus with bench seats over the wheels). He also wrote about his 1st wife who died in a tragic accident.
    He also wrote about his mother, that was televised and Thora Hird played his mum.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes