New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
428 replies 34.1K views

Replies

• betasambetasam Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    I also enjoyed The Cat That Came In From The Cold - I am fairly sure I have some more Deric Longden books squirrelled away somewhere - I may have to look them out! 
    My OH has a second-hand  bookshop (nowhere near as grand as Barter Books!) and had initially stopped selling online when the lockdown started, but has started again and has been inundated with orders for an eclectic selection of books - it seems as if the entire world is reading!
  • Charly27Charly27 Forumite
    340 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    betasam that’s good news about the bookshop. I still struggle to read on Kindle but I’ve been forced into it as I ration my books. I’m getting my unread titles read slowly though. The world does seem to be divided into those working harder than ever and those who have sadly been furloughed or even worse lost their jobs.  Never read any Deric Longden thanks both for the recommendation. 
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read in 2020 46/50 #20 in 2020 5/20
    Stitching Animal Patchwork Sampler by The Historical Sampler Company
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished The Snakes by Sadie Jones.....all I can say is don't bother.

Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    betasam said:
    Hello, sorry to have been missing for so long; I am really struggling to concentrate on reading since the lockdown. I am attempting to read a few pages at lunchtime if I can escape the hospital for a few minutes!
    11. Death of yesterday by M C Beaton. Hamish Macbeth - I enjoyed the earlier books in the series but find the later ones quite contrived and silly!
    I started to read Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks but have laid it aside as I don't think that reading about the plague is a good idea. Currently trying to finish Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.

I love Year of Wonders, I've visted Eyam many times and can see how she felt inspired to write it, maybe reading it now would give a bit of perspective on the current situation.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66
  • betasambetasam Forumite
    24 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts
    12. Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. I bought this (and I rarely buy full-price, new novels) because it was so hyped on Goodreads. I really struggled with it, possibly because I don't have much knowledge of, or interest in, the American political system, and it was set during an election campaign. It is basically chick-lit, so I didn't feel I should have to work to understand the background! The story is of a romantic relationship between the US President's son and the Queen's grandson. There were some nice excerpts from historical letters included but I would't recommend it unless you understand US politics and Spanish!
    I may try Year of Wonders again...
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • DianneBDianneB Forumite
    882 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything new at the moment so I am reading old favourites but I do have a new copy of Peter Mays 'Lockdown'. Will get MrB to read it first!!
    Slightly bitter
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭

Just finished the audio version of Sarah J Harries' 'The colour of Bee Larkham's murder' 

it's written from the perspective of a 13yr old boy on the autistic spectrum whose world is filled with colour to the extent that every sound generates its own colour, about the events leading up to & after the murder of his flamboyant neighbour Bee Larkham.

this version was well narrated and I'd recommend it.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've finished 'The Snow Child' by Eowyn Ivey. I really enjoyed it, it is set in 1920's Alaska and is about a couple who lost a child and sold up everything to set up a homestead, they are struggling and unhappy and one night they build a little girl out of snow.  It is inspired by the traditional versions of this story, is really well written and describes the landscape and nature beautifully.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66
  • Hobsons_ChoiceHobsons_Choice Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished re-reading "Fallen Skies" by Phillipa Gregory. It's about the aftermath of WW1 on a middle class family and it's the best novel I've read this year.  I first read it in the early 90s so didn't really remember the story. :)
    Normal people worry me.
  • edited 14 May at 6:47PM
    Abbafan1972Abbafan1972 Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 May at 6:47PM
    I am currently reading "The Beach" by Alex Garland.  Am struggling with it at the moment, but will persevere with it!
    Before that I read "One Moment" by Linda Green and would highly recommend that.
    I read on Kindle, as I find it much easier than holding a book open, as it keeps my hands free.
    Winging it since 1972