»

I was redundant then I wasen't - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

I was redundant then I wasen't

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
65 replies 2.9K views

Replies

• renegadefmrenegadefm
    613 posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    The point is I didnt actually get to start my new job. The manager just said when your out of your old job theres a job here for you.

My old employer so to speak didnt know I had this job opportunity in the back ground.

Obviously I cant afford to just leave with no redundancy money because the potential new job was less wages and I didnt know if I could cope on those wages.

All I'm trying to say is I was angry at the time because my employer had months to decide whether or not to keep me or reverse my redundancy as it dragged on for ages, first it was desellection I had to go through and lost, then weeks later I had to appeal it with a union rep present, but my case failed along with many others not just me. So emotionally it was like being dragged through the mud.

So naturally by the time I could see my fate was sealed I sped up my search for a job, safe in the knowledge I was about to recieve a cheque that could make up any wage decrease shortfall.

But literally 2 weeks before my agreed leaving date my world turned upside down again as they rang me to say we got really good news for me and that we decided to reverse my redundancy, but of course it wasent good news for me as I by then made up my mind I was gone, but I ate humble pie and just said oh great thanks and that was that. But my heart and mind was saying otherwise.

I have spoke to my union since and they said it was a bit naughty especially after what I went through with the deselection etc and that I should have had an option, but that I have left it 5 years too late to ask. Of course all this time its manifested itself which is why I am still harping on about it and it probably will plauge me for years to come.

The problem also is where I live is rural and jobs are scarce, so I cant just walk out into a job with simular wages.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less
    39K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you seem to be saying is you fought the redundancy quite hard.

Then when they found a way to not make you redundant you were not happy.
  • Takeaway_AddictTakeaway_Addict
    6.4K posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 5000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    renegadefm wrote: »
    No I couldn't afford to lose 30 grand. What I mean is I would have had 30 grand as a redundancy package, but to just walk out with no payment would be foolish.
    In other words I'd have only left on those grounds because the other job I was going to walk into didnt pay so well. But it would have tied me over especially with 30 grand in the bank it was a no brainer, until I could find something better perhaps.
    You've had five years to move, you didn't have 30k, you still don't.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • eamoneamon
    2K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can understand why the OP is still upset by the non redundancy and the non £30k. Yes at the time he fought to keep his job and lost. Mentally he had moved on and obtained a new job only for that to be taken away from him. Yes he kept his job and the rights that go with that. But at what cost and its not just about the money? I can well believe that he feels trapped doing permanent nights (for many people its a premature death sentence). Its not easy to quit your job and if you are 50yo+ its much harder.
  • renegadefmrenegadefm
    613 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    We had to go through the process of fighting to prevent redundancy for formality sake. I wanted redundancy deep down but didnt show it.

All I'm saying is the rug was pulled from under my feet after all the hassle of desellection and losing that only for them to reverse my redundancy at the very last minute when by then I have moved on emotionally etc.
  • renegadefmrenegadefm
    613 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Eamon thank you. Your the only one that seems to understand what I was trying to say.
  • renegadefmrenegadefm
    613 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    Theres something else I haven't until now mentioned, this will highlight how dirty my company can be.
    Just after failing deselection appeals, they offered me a zero hours contract rather than be redundant thinking I would fall for it, which meant after 28 years service Id lose my redundancy money and go on zero hours contract which meant I could be hired or fired at will.
    I told my union this and they advised me to refuse the offer.
    Shortly after they reversed my redundancy.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less
    39K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    renegadefm wrote: »
    We had to go through the process of fighting to prevent redundancy for formality sake. I wanted redundancy deep down but didnt show it.

There is no obligation to fight a redundancy, if you want to leave you just agree during the consultation period.
    What annoyed me is something I havent mentioned. They basically changed their mind on someone else they were not going to let go who wanted to go,

They found someone that did want to go so they swapped with you the one that wanted to stay and fought hard to stay.

One of the reasons there is a consultation period is to give people a chance to air alternative solutions and try to reduce the impact of redundancies right up to the date of termination.
  • You should have served the company counter-notice when they served you notice. This specifically prevents such a U turn
    If I ruled the world.......
  • renegadefmrenegadefm
    613 posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭
    I must admit I have never heard of the term counter notice until now, so wasent aware about it then for sure.

As I remember we had to go through appealing to the redundancy as it was expected from us so the union said even though it didnt save hardly anyone as we worked in the affected area.

What I didnt agree with is the person they let go which meant my redundancy was reversed was from a non affected area of the company. Where I worked shut down for good, yet the guy they swapped in my place and let go was where I ended up going but it was a non affected area, making it all the more strange they reversed my redundancy at the last minute, especially given I'd already lost appeals and had a set leaving date.

Like I said something hasent sat right in my mind about it all ever since.