Options

Comments

• andy111
    andy111 Posts: 181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2020 at 9:13PM
    Options
    The bad news for students is ( from a Glide representative);

"We are a company that was set up by students for students, so we aim to be fair and clear about the way our service works as we understand that students don’t want the hassle of juggling utility bills. "

Who would have guessed?

Using their tariff over a year for a 3 bed house usage elec 3100kw/h and gas12500kw/h comes to £1840.

Using the best on comparison site ie 12p and 3.46p comes to £894. So about double.

Glide are allowed to set the tariff as they are an appointed agent of Ecotricity.

The usual suspiciously good reports on Trustpilot tell you everything. contrary to just about every other report about them online.

Having read their very comprehensive and punitive terms and conditions and then the reports how strictly they adhere to them with little or absolutely no flexibility this gloating company must have some very wealthy ex student founders.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    andy111 wrote: »
    "We are a company that was set up by students for students"

Sounds like they are taking advantage of other students to pay off their own student loans.
  • andy111
    Options
    Some of the stories online are mind blowing.
    It truly is the slaughter of the innocents.

I'd advise them going to the Students' union - but they're probably in on it as well.

Seriously advice should be forthcoming from somewhere, we know it's not illegal but it certainly is very, very sharp business practice.
  • megyork
    megyork Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    The bad news for students is ( from a Glide representative);

"We are a company that was set up by students for students, so we aim to be fair and clear about the way our service works as we understand that students don’t want the hassle of juggling utility bills. "

Who would have guessed?

Using their tariff over a year for a 3 bed house usage elec 3100kw/h and gas12500kw/h comes to £1840.

Using the best on comparison site ie 12p and 3.46p comes to £894. So about double.

Glide are allowed to set the tariff as they are an appointed agent of Ecotricity.

The usual suspiciously good reports on Trustpilot tell you everything. contrary to just about every other report about them online.

Having read their very comprehensive and punitive terms and conditions and then the reports how strictly they adhere to them with little or absolutely no flexibility this gloating company must have some very wealthy ex student founders.

I have had a quick look with Uswitch and found a few providers who look to have much better prices, as someone who's not familiar with good companies, is NPOWER any good? they were one of the companies who's name I recognised but doesn't always mean they are good

in terms of the suspiciously good reviews of Glide, they offer customers £5 credit if they leave a good review, ive been sent the link a good few times but won't be leaving any reviews
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Options
    megyork wrote: »
    is NPOWER any good?
    Middling, according to Citizens Advice.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415573

Npower are part of E.On and will disappear.
    megyork wrote: »
    I
    in terms of the suspiciously good reviews of Glide, they offer customers £5 credit if they leave a good review, ive been sent the link a good few times but won't be leaving any reviews
    Please report them for breaking Trustpilot Rule 1.4: "Companies may not offer an incentive to Users to write positive reviews or to remove negative reviews or in any other way offer incentives in a biased way (for example offering free shipping with the next purchase)"
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Middling, according to Citizens Advice.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4415573

Npower are part of E.On and will disappear.Please report them for breaking Trustpilot Rule 1.4: "Companies may not offer an incentive to Users to write positive reviews or to remove negative reviews or in any other way offer incentives in a biased way (for example offering free shipping with the next purchase)"

NPower are part of Eon? News to me. There is even less excuse for Eon's woefully poor website if this is the case; nPower's is the best I have seen and, if they would just come up with some competitive tariffs for my area, I would switch back to them in a heartbeat. HTH, OP.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    NPower are part of Eon? News to me.
    It's been known about for over a year.

https://www.npower.com/npower-and-eon/questions/

https://selectra.co.uk/energy/news/market/npower-eon-merger-jobs#

BTW, my remarks about breaking Trustpilot rules relate to Glide, not to Npower.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    It's been known about for over a year.

https://www.npower.com/npower-and-eon/questions/

https://selectra.co.uk/energy/news/market/npower-eon-merger-jobs#

BTW, my remarks about breaking Trustpilot rules relate to Glide, not to Npower.

Guess it's just as well I got my £25 while the going was good as I would have been switched to Eon eventually anyway. Huh.

No wonder nPower are nowhere in the price comparisons. I had already converted the "Big 6" to the "Big 5" in my head because I discount EDF due to their vile t's and c's (not to mention customer service) Now it's the Big 4; the market shrinks which cannot be good for we consumers. Thanks, Gerry1.

I maintain, it is high time Eon woke up and started to use nPower's website capabilities. What is the point of buying out a company if you are not going to take the best aspects and use them yourself?
  • andy111
    edited 15 January 2020 at 9:55AM
    Options
    megyork are you sure your savings will be higher than your leaving penalties?

Your tenancy ends in 5 months are you staying? if so it will be worth changing definitely.

Choose one of the cheapest at the top of the list that does not stipulate you have to have a smart meter as part of their terms.

No one knows how good a company is until they move to them.
    However as a rule of thumb the larger, more expensive have a more stable, trained, knowledgable staff and thus you pay more for a better service.

The smaller companies may have agency staff, no training, and therefore more problems and errors.
    Plus the fact that some are run by crooked CEOs who see a chance to defraud with questionable working practices and downright dishonesty.
  • megyork
    megyork Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    megyork are you sure your savings will be higher than your leaving penalties?

Your tenancy ends in 5 months are you staying? if so it will be worth changing definitely.

Choose one of the cheapest at the top of the list that does not stipulate you have to have a smart meter as part of their terms.

No one knows how good a company is until they move to them.
    However as a rule of thumb the larger, more expensive have a more stable, trained, knowledgable staff and thus you pay more for a better service.

The smaller companies may have agency staff, no training, and therefore more problems and errors.
    Plus the fact that some are run by crooked CEOs who see a chance to defraud with questionable working practices and downright dishonesty.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I have been making daily meter readings and turned the heating off timer, so we only turn it on ourselves when we need to and the usage isn't as bad - so far in the 9 days being back we have used apt 580 KWH (GAS) so this should work out a lot cheaper this month

in terms of providers, I signed up to Octopus - has some of the WHICH? best reviews

Hopefully this knowledge sticks with me for the rest of my adult life - and being well and truely ripped off stops from now haha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure