4100 KWH of gas in 5 weeks / 1 month

Options

Comments

• megyork
    megyork Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    You're lucky you didn't come back to burst pipes and a flooded house.
    And 305kWh of electricity as well. Did you have squatters or was there a rave? Did one of your chums (or the landlord) let a few friends stay there, or does a former tenant still have keys? As the electricity usage is also very high, the most likely explanation is that, unknown to you, the property was occupied.

If you really think the boiler was switched off and no gas was being used, you need to find out what's happening. Check that the number on the meter matches that on the bill, then turn the boiler off and see whether the reading keeps increasing. Are there any gas fires or other gas appliances? If the house has been sub-divided or it's not detached, you might even find that it's supplying others for historic reasons or by an illegal connection.Assuming those figures are pence per kWh for the units and pence per day for the standing charges, those rates aren't high. They're astronomical.
    Yes, if you want to pay off your student loans in your lifetime ! (You're obviously not studying Economics, are you?) But check whether you have a contract with Glide and whether there are exit fees or whatever. Who signed you up to Glide? Did they get a massive commission?

Welcome to the University of Life !

Thanks for getting in touch! as far as I am, and the other tenants are aware, the property was empty! I went back 22nd December for post! and that is all and the house was definitely empty then.
    I am currently in the cellar and I have checked that the meter numbers match what we have been on the bill.
    There are no gas fires, and the house is a mid terrace, whether this always has been I am not sure, perhaps investing in come cctv would be handy.

I know the fees are high, but this was an option due to the shared liability of the bills! sadly I study accounting and I KNOW I am getting ripped off which does really anger me, but as a student I dont have the money or knowledge to investigate this myself. as I live with 4 strangers we didn't really discuss bills, one of the tenants signed us up
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems that Ovo are the culprits, with a special mile high tariff.

https://glide.co.uk/tariffs/
  • megyork
    megyork Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I neither know nor care what a "glide" is but vaguely remember reading something on here that said LL's are not allowed to profit from the resale of electricity. I can't remember whether that also applies to gas but imagine it does.

I seriously doubt one is allowed to profit from the sale of TV licences. This "glide" lot sound illegal to me.

where can I find more of this, they are certainly making a profit, but I didn't realise firms couldn't profit off this
  • Gerry1
    Options
    megyork wrote: »
    one of the tenants signed us up
    And trousered £50. Kerching !
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems that Ovo are the culprits, with a special mile high tariff.

https://glide.co.uk/tariffs/

Since when do OVO, or any other energy supplier for that matter, resell TV licences? This stinks.

I cannot see the OP's tenancy agreement from here but would urge them to read it carefully to determine whether the tenancy in some way binds them to these extortionate rates or whether they are free to switch at any time.

Personally, I would consider moving to somewhere with a better LL/LA if such is to be had in the OP's location. This is nothing short of exploitation! An economics student must be able to do better but is to be commended in even knowing what a unit rate is, imho.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    where can I find more of this, they are certainly making a profit, but I didn't realise firms couldn't profit off this

I don't know, short of googling, megyork but am certain I have read on here that LL's are not allowed to profit from the resale of electricity (and, I am fairly certain, gas) I have never heard of TV licences being resold until now and refuse to believe it is legal. As I said, I have sent an enquiry to the TV licencing authority but know the pace at which they reply to queries so do not look for a response any time soon.

Where are the LL's who post on here? Where are Cakeguts, AdrianC, need an answer and G_M et al? I am sure one of them will know how to find the answers, OP; hang in there and good luck.
  • Gerry1
    Options
    Double price gas and electricity, and they get round the regulations by charging so-called 'Management Fees', e.g. an extra £107.64 p.a. if you have water and TV Licence.
    Amazingly, students are gullible enough to fall for it.doh.gif Harsh, but true...
  • Smodlet
    edited 8 January 2020 at 7:08PM
    Options
    Double price gas and electricity, and they get round the regulations by charging so-called 'Management Fees', e.g. an extra £107.64 p.a. if you have water and TV Licence.
    Amazingly, students are gullible enough to fall for it.doh.gif Harsh, but true...

I have to wonder if MSE knows about this, Gerry1; this sounds like exactly the sort of thing they should be reporting and I don't remember seeing anything to this effect but may well be wrong.

megyork, in whose name is/are the utility bills? If in yours/the other tenants, you can switch any time you like; plenty of advice on here if that is an option (not least from myself and Gerry1 :D)

If in the LL/LA's, is it possible you could argue this was not made clear in the contract/was not something you or your parents/guarantors could be expected to be aware of?

OVO and any other suppliers who do this need to be reported to the Ombudsman (or even Ofgem) or, if it is somehow legal, a petition needs to be raised. This is a vile practice which delivers nothing for what it charges. Sounds like one for Judge Rinder to me.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How was the boiler turned off? There may be a frost protection feature that forced it to come on.

Electricity consumption for an empty property is insane. Is the fridge freezer really old and whirring away 24/7? Again for comparison we only used 468kWh during December with heating, lighting (some halogen), cooking, etc!

You're being ripped off and your property appears to be sapping energy doing nothing - the worst of all worlds!
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »
    How was the boiler turned off? There may be a frost protection feature that forced it to come on.

Electricity consumption for an empty property is insane. Is the fridge freezer really old and whirring away 24/7? Again for comparison we only used 468kWh during December with heating, lighting (some halogen), cooking, etc!

You're being ripped off and your property appears to be sapping energy doing nothing - the worst of all worlds!

To say nothing of the whole being ripped off with the rates! They are unbelievable: OP, just to give you an idea, I pay 15.2 p per kwh for electricity with a standing charge of 5.25 per month and 3.1 per kwh + 7.35 per month for gas; I consider this good value.
    I pay £13.26 per month for the TV licence because that is what it costs now; I consider this a rip-off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure