We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Does Spouse's Half Of House Automatically Pass To Other Spouse When One Dies?

Options
woodbine66
woodbine66 Posts: 112 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 7 January 2020 at 11:20PM in Deaths, funerals & probate
My 83 yo aunt wants to leave her half of the house she shares with her 87 yo husband to her sons. Though they are still married, they loathe each other, mainly because of violence and cruelty towards her years ago and his womanising. No love lost!

Does their house automatically have to go to her husband when she dies?

She wants to leave her half to her two sons, but we aren't sure what the ownership/title status is for the house - ie. whether it's joint or common tenants.

For example, can she just put in her will something like "on my death, my share of the house is to pass equally to my two sons, providing that the ownership basis allows this."

If she can even find out how the house is owned, I'm sure there will be no opportunity to change the ownership status. Hence the need to say that her half goes to the sons if the ownership status allows.

I realise this is an odd one and a little complex, but I would appreciate some advice so I can guide her before seeing a solicitor.

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    woodbine66 wrote: »
    My 83 yo aunt wants to leave her half of the house she shares with her 87 yo husband to her sons.

She wants to leave her half to her two sons, but we aren't sure what the ownership/title status is for the house - ie. whether it's joint or common tenants.

For example, can she just put in her will something like "on my death, my share of the house is to pass equally to my two sons, providing that the ownership basis allows this."

If she can even find out how the house is owned, I'm sure there will be no opportunity to change the ownership status.

If they own the house as 'joint tenants', they both own all the house so she can't leave it to anyone in her will - when the first one dies, the other still owns all the house.

She can sever the joint tenancy and become 50/50 'tenants in common' quite easily. She can then leave her half to her sons, although if she doesn't give her husband a life tenancy, he may try to contest the will - take advice from the solicitor when she makes the new will.
  • woodbine66
    woodbine66 Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2020 at 11:28PM
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »

She can sever the joint tenancy and become 50/50 'tenants in common' quite easily.

Many thanks for your reply, Mojisola. Can she sever the joint tenancy unilaterally, or only with the agreement of her husband? Knowing the type of person he is, that would be very difficult. Money and assets are the most important things to him.

And how would we go about finding the ownership type? The house was bought 60 years ago by both of them.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply, Mojisola. Can she sever the joint tenancy unilaterally, or only with the agreement of her husband? Knowing the type of person he is, that would be very difficult. Money and assets are the most important things to him.

And how would we go about finding the ownership type? The house was bought 60 years ago by both of them.

Info here (clicky)

Check land registry to see if there are any restrictions on disposal, to work out how the property is held.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,196 Forumite
    Options
    Link below should give a good idea of how the property is owned, but yes, if it is a joint tenancy she can sever it unilaterally.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, if it is in joint tenancy she can sever it unilaterally.

She can then leave her interest in the property to her sons.

She should see a solicitor to discuss her situation - he will explain the appropriate procedure and draft a will to cover her requirements.

https://www.step.org/step-directory
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Is it registered at the Land Registry?

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

Otherwise, where are the Deeds to the property?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    She can sever the joint tenancy unilaterally, but she has to do it now - she can't do it in her will.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My 83 yo aunt wants to leave her half of the house she shares with her 87 yo husband to her sons. Though they are still married, they loathe each other, mainly because of violence and cruelty towards her years ago and his womanising. No love lost!

Probably better to stick to one thread so other posters get the full picture

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76700586#post76700586
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice on how not to trip over the giant pachyderm in this thread.

Unless she is massively richer than him, why not just divorce him? If she doesn't then he will have a claim on her estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act, so attempts to leave half the house to their children may be ineffective. If they have a clean break he will have no serious claim.

Don't say it's too late to bother; if she is in good health she could have another ten years ahead of her. Life's too short.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    Unless she is massively richer than him, why not just divorce him? If she doesn't then he will have a claim on her estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act, so attempts to leave half the house to their children may be ineffective.

Not if she leaves him a life interest although I agree that divorce would free her of her abuser now and give her a chance to enjoy her remaining years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport