Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• binaryuniverse
    Options
    How long does First Direct take to open?
    Think, ideally, I want to open it ready as close to pay day as possible. Probably the day after. So the money isn't sitting in my FD current account, gaining no interest for a bit.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speculator wrote: »
    I am lucky they didn't follow the Saffron BS policy where you need a £100 balance for a certain length of time to qualify for their special members accounts.

My balance was only £4.54

Great info.
    Based on your personal experience which Saving Account should be kept as it might be useful at some point in the future ??

Principality is definitely one of those.
    Thanks
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Great info.
    Based on your personal experience which Saving Account should be kept as it might be useful at some point in the future ??

Principality is definitely one of those.
    Thanks

I've been successful with Chorley, Saffron (with their Reg ISA) and Principality so far and will be keeping £100 in the Yorkshire BS and Skipton.

I never close a BS account and always keep at least £1 in one of their accounts.
  • diamondchap
    Options
    How long does First Direct take to open?
    Think, ideally, I want to open it ready as close to pay day as possible. Probably the day after. So the money isn't sitting in my FD current account, gaining no interest for a bit.

I opened one online on the 1st November last year, as, like you, I wanted the payment in to it to be taken as close to my pay day as possible. However, after submitting the application it said (words to the effect of) 'we're really busy and we'll be in touch when your account has been opened'.

I phoned them after a few days and they were still processing the application. However, the advisor said that they will open them immediatley if you apply over the phone. So we cancelled the 1st November application and I called them on the 1st December and opened the account then.

Processing times may have reduced for online applications in the months since then, but I think I'll still call them to set up a new one when my current one matures.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Speculator wrote: »
    Why not open a Principality esaver now online just incase they don't receive your application until Monday and your transfer go thru tomorrow. This will ensure there is no break in your membership of Principality.

The online esaver application will ask you for your existing Principality a/c no.

Good suggestion but I've just remembered that I asked for the transfer to be sent out for a wet signature, so it's a few days from going through with Ablrate.

Will just delay the return of the transfer request until I've had confirmation of the regular saver being set up.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    I don't think Virgin have a branch in Buxton :)

Yes, I've heard there's no such thing as a Virgin in Buxton.
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bigadaj wrote: »
    Good suggestion but I've just remembered that I asked for the transfer to be sent out for a wet signature, so it's a few days from going through with Ablrate.

Will just delay the return of the transfer request until I've had confirmation of the regular saver being set up.

Still a good idea to get online access by opening their esaver for £1 because you will be able to see your Regular saver and all your other accounts online.
  • ftest
    ftest Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 10 November 2017 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Test post to test signature

Test moneysavingexpert.com test bbc.co.uk
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    That is me ^^^^. Just needed to do a test from an account that has different permissions to me to test a signature glitch.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 November 2017 at 3:38PM
    Options
    Virgin Regular E-Saver Issue 8 now available
    2.25% Matures 20 December 2018

Thank you again Virgin Money :D

Having problems opening it, some wibble about not pressing the back button in both FireFox and Chrome. I expect it will sort itself out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure