PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• skogar
    skogar Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing OK. Good to hear that your intended is doing well Laura - wishing him a speedy recovery. Well sock has been started - about 7cm long at the moment.

2024 Fashion on the Ration - 61.5/66.5 coupons remaining
    1 cardigan
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    @skogar - wow, that's brilliant - 7cm of sock is a great start! 

And thankyou, everyone, for your support... :) 
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So...it's been a fun vacation with the truck now in the shop and unavailable until after we're supposed to be home.  Since my little car can't pull our camper (caravan?) and we're supposed to be at work on Thursday, we're going to be taking the bare necessities home with us tomorrow, then coming back on Friday to pick up the truck and drive back home again on Sunday.

Hubby has said that I may use household funds to purchase a reasonable amount of yarn, so I'm assuming that means it's coming out of his clothing allowance. :wink:

I did find a yarn (and tea!) shop that is open, so I might pop in there later on today.  It's only an hour and a half away....
    @TwibbleDee Enjoy the yarn shop.  If they are lovely, do get their website address.

Sorry to hear about the truck.  I’m assuming it’s a pickup truck, what the Aussies would call “a ute” and, possibly, double-cabbed.  It’s really annoying that it’s broken down. Caravan should cover the camper - I don’t believe there is a word in British English if it is a pop up, i.e. half caravan half tent. 

I slept remarkably well, thanks to knowing My Intended had come through it fine and the surgeon was pleased - and today he even managed a quick 5-min video-call to show me his wounds and new stylish accessories (ie wound drain bag, etc.) <3 

4:30pm - suit jacket carcass now assembled. Now to add structural elements, and then sleeves and collar; finally lining to finish, and buttons (to be self-covered).

Not the neatest double-welt buttonholes, but not the worst I've seen either :) 

It is 29C and I am melting a little... it may be time for an ice-cream break... 

@Laura_Elsewhere, glad to know you slept well.  Hope the hospital is air conditioned for  your Intended.

I am admiring your handy work.  Hope you enjoyed the ice cream.  You aren’t the only one who is melting.  It’s 33C here and not a breath of air is moving.  I am soaked in sweat and  have to concede that it’s too hot to knit.

- Pip

"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I think trailer tent is the word you’re looking for, Pip?  

Pleased to hear that your intended is making good progress Laura. And  you seem to be making good  progress with the jacket as well, keep us posted. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I was at work last night so I'm just catching up - @Laura_Elsewhere I'm glad to hear Intended is through the surgery and up to talking. How long are they expecting to keep him?
    And I love those button holes: very smart.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Everyone sounds very busy. I have got some more masks cut out and partly made up, and inspired by Laura I am going to try dismantling some garments which are too large, and making them up in a smaller size rather than simply trying to take them in piecemeal.

For anyone who is new to knitting, or like me has come back to it after some years, this is an absolutely brilliant site https://techknitting.blogspot.com/  Not the blog itself particularly, if you look at the top it says “subject index” and there are all sorts of handy tips and tricks on knitting, some of them are far too advanced for me! It’s the place I go to when I come across an instruction I haven’t done before. The only thing she doesn’t tell you is how to sew up knitting, it’s my nemesis but I did find a very good YouTube video and I’m determined to crack it.

Laura, I hope your intended is feeling even better today and that you will have a date for him to return home soon. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback