Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

A Year in the Life of... - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

A Year in the Life of...

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
204 replies 9.3K views

Replies

• mummytogirlsmummytogirls Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Diary and Happy New Year GAP xx
    Mummytogirls x

• jwiljwil Forumite
    12.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can freeze red wine in ice cube trays to use in recipes later on.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • girlatplaygirlatplay Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Diary and Happy New Year GAP xx

MTG! It's been....a while. Happy New a year to you too. I've had a quick catch up with your diary :)
    jwil wrote: »
    You can freeze red wine in ice cube trays to use in recipes later on.

Hello :) Ooh good plan. I didn't think of that. That would work really well for me. Your diary is on my list to read.

My lovely wee sis gave me an afternoon tea for Christmas at a hotel in the City Centre (along with my SAD lamp which I've now figured out but not incorporated it into my routine yet). We went along and had it today. Thoroughly enjoyed it and since it was just the two of us we were able to have an uninterrupted chat. Lovely afternoon.

I've eaten 2 meals and some peanut M&Ms (snack) today. Going home to make tea for us now. Drank some water but more to have when I get in. I'm outside right now so that's done too. I left the house at 12pm and the sun was shining so had some vit D which is positive :)

Financially:
    - £2 account reward hit the account today so I've transferred that over to the holding account
    - £9.71 came in from CMS so I have no guilt in transferring that towards the council tax (done)
    - I had a £1 bag of 1p's which has been lying around for months. I was passing the bank today so took it in to pay in. Didn't care that it was just £1, it's £1 more in the account. Transferred that too.

That's reminded me that if LMG does leave college I will also need to contact CMS to tell them. Not sure how I'll cope without the £9.71 most months to feed, clothe and keep a roof over LMG's head but I'll just have to try :( :rotfl:
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,423.18 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
    IO Mortgage current balance: £87,390
  • astrocytic_kittenastrocytic_kitten Forumite
    318 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It was a lovely day today where I was, glad it was for you too! I used to have my SAD lamp on top of my bedroom chest of drawers and used it when I was getting ready for work - this was when I was blow drying my hair straight every day, so I figured between that, makeup, checking my phone, and aimlessly staring into space, I was probably in the close vicinity of it for about 30 minutes. You’ve reminded me I should move it and find a way to incorporate it into my day now, I found it helpful in the dark mornings.
    Total debt: 5,622 (Nov 2020) / 14,377 (Dec 2019) / 23,167 (Dec 2018)
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    12.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    girlatplay wrote: »
    Hello :) Ooh good plan. I didn't think of that. That would work really well for me. Your diary is on my list to read.

Thank you :) It's not very interesting :rotfl:
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    13K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lots of mse stuff going on. The afternoon tea sounds fun too.
    During 2020: Target 1) Reduce debt from £25.1K @ 0% Now down to £17.129 Target 2) Overpay mortgage - now @ £780 OP Target 3) Improve pensions Target 4) Declutter 52 bags - Done with help of skip & other regular charity collections. 5) Build/maintain EF/Savings pots at £1K or more by 31/12/20
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a lovely day today where I was, glad it was for you too! I used to have my SAD lamp on top of my bedroom chest of drawers and used it when I was getting ready for work - this was when I was blow drying my hair straight every day, so I figured between that, makeup, checking my phone, and aimlessly staring into space, I was probably in the close vicinity of it for about 30 minutes. You’ve reminded me I should move it and find a way to incorporate it into my day now, I found it helpful in the dark mornings.

Now see, that's why I come here. These great ideas that I never think of myself. That plan would work for me with the lamp. Did you use it as the only means of light or did you put the main room light on too? I just don't know if it would be enough light for my make up.
    jwil wrote: »
    Thank you :) It's not very interesting :rotfl:

I looked at it a week or two ago but I didn't have much time. I made a mental note to go back. I'll likely do that today.
    lots of mse stuff going on. The afternoon tea sounds fun too.

It was lovely spending some quality time with my sis. We don't get to do that much these days so times like that are precious to me. I took her for a spa day for her 40th last year and that was brilliant too.

I came on here yesterday when I had a spare 10 minutes and typed up the day's news. My phone was playing up and it crashed me out of the site so I lost what I had typed. I didn't have time to type it all again so the gist is as follows:

All my daily aims were completed. Went to boyfriend's for tea last night and he stuffed chicken breasts with mozzarella and asparagus then topped them with a garlic relish which has a hint of curry flavour and then more mozzarella. That with pan fried asparagus (I do that bit), Mexican rice and some salad. I'm so pleased and proud that he's willing to give cooking a go. He does a great job. I'm very lucky.

Financially yesterday:
    - I went to Asda and there was £15.67 on the card. Hooray! I had topped it up with £40 and I've now spent just under £30 so there's just over £26 left.
    - There was not much was happening in the bank account so I looked at some survey sites which I haven't been to since before Christmas. One had £2.17 in it and I need £5 to cash out so I'll keep my eye out for surveys there. I had a look at another site that I've heard being mentioned and I might sign up to that.

Today:
    I haven't done anything other than have breakfast and a little financial thing. I'll be getting lunch ready soon. I need to go and top up my bus card ready for work tomorrow so I'll walk round to the wee local shop later and that can be my get outside trip.

Financially today:
    - I went on to the survey site that I found the £2.17 on. There was a survey available for 60p so I did that.
    - checked the bank accounts but nothing happening there either.

Last day of peace before I'm back to work tomorrow.
    Loan (£7,500) current balance: £4,423.18 :: Original DFD 01/12/2023 Expected DFD 01/04/2023
  • astrocytic_kittenastrocytic_kitten Forumite
    318 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    girlatplay wrote: »
    Now see, that's why I come here. These great ideas that I never think of myself. That plan would work for me with the lamp. Did you use it as the only means of light or did you put the main room light on too? I just don't know if it would be enough light for my make up.

Aw, thanks GAP :o I always had the main room light on too, the SAD lamp by itself wasn’t enough light and always gave everything quite an eerie look.

Yesterday I moved my SAD lamp to my work desk, so when I’m working from home in the morning I can have the benefit of it so thanks for reminding me - hopefully we’ll both be using ours now!

That dinner sounds absolutely gorgeous, reading about it is making me hungry :D
    Total debt: 5,622 (Nov 2020) / 14,377 (Dec 2019) / 23,167 (Dec 2018)
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw, thanks GAP :o I always had the main room light on too, the SAD lamp by itself wasn’t enough light and always gave everything quite an eerie look.

Yesterday I moved my SAD lamp to my work desk, so when I’m working from home in the morning I can have the benefit of it so thanks for reminding me - hopefully we’ll both be using ours now!

That dinner sounds absolutely gorgeous, reading about it is making me hungry :D

I've managed the lamp for two mornings in a row now. I was wondering why it wasn't working for me yet. I guess I have to wait longer than 2 days to see a difference :rotfl:
    Dinner was delish! He really tries and he does well. I'm a more confident cook but only because I've done it for so long. He's really upping his game though, I'll need to watch.

Nothing much to speak of yesterday. Was a NSD so that's positive. Long work day as we're so busy. I worked 7 hours (contract is 4 per day).

Yesterday's financials:
    Nothing happening in the bank or survey sites but I had a chat with LMG about the council tax going up if she leaves college and our current keek wifi (contract ends 28th March, not a day too soon) and she's agreed to pay an extra £10 per week from the start of April. She needs to let the college know tomorrow and she's pretty sure she's had enough so once she's sent the confirmation email I'll call the council.

Today I got out of work a bit earlier but still worked 5.5 hours and didn't get through everything. Boyfriend is coming for tea tonight so I've decided on chicken and chorizo paella. He bought me a lovely new pot for Christmas (I've had my eye on it for ages) and later when I was coming up with ideas for recipes he suggested I make paella. Your wish is my command.

Today's financials:
    Nothing to report. I've checked the bank account and survey sites, which I will keep doing this afternoon. Going to keep my eyes peeled for discarded change on the ground. Well, I've got to do something worthwhile :)
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finance update today:
    My sis received the cashback into her account today and has now forwarded it on to me. £17.50.

Total in the holding account as at today is: £141.07.