Repeated hospital parking fines for taxi driver working for ambulance service

Hello all at MSE!

Regretably, my first post is a question about multiple parking fines, but I am rather desperate to get this matter resolved.

I am a taxi driver and regularly do work for the NHS hospital transport service via another company. This involves the dropping off and collecting of patients.

Only one hospital in particular has been a problem and I have now ammassed four parking fines while I help the patients, many of whom are seriously ill and cannot walk, into and out of the hospital in wheelchairs. I am not on the hospital premises for long but I sometimes go over the 20 minute waiting limit while looking for patients that are not where they are supposed to be or they are delayed waiting for a doctor to discharge them or awaiting medication.

I took this matter to the Ombudsman, explaining the situation, that I need to visit this hospital for work purposes, but I can only guess that they didn't read my letter properly as they said that I must pay the fines. How can this be right?

The problem is, this is crippling my income to such an extent that I may be out of business very soon.

PLEASE tell me that there is something I can do about this. How do I challenge the parking company? Can I challenge the Ombudsman? Am I now forced to pay the fines since I took the matter further to the Ombudsman?

Thank you for any advice.

Alison.

Replies

• Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    1: These are not fines
    2: what do you mean by the ombudsman??
    3: are you familair with the NHS pakring principles for staff, patients and visitors? https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles
    4: with the above in mind, have you complained to the NHS trust(s) in question - such as PALS?
    5: have you actualy paid an of these charges??? ( you shouldnt pay a penny)
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    which Parking company ?

Which Hospital ?

by Ombudsman , do you actually mean POPLA ?

stick to the facts and tell us the information , dont keep it back, it wont help

you should be complaining to PALS and the trust to get them cancelled , plus you should insist that the trust tell the Parking company to put your VRM on the whitelist of exempt vehicles, to stop it from happening in the future

be proactive, or you will drown in the mud , you should not be paying at all
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important fact you have omitted - which parking company?

Have you complained to the hospital and asked them to get the tickets cancelled?

Have you threatened to remove your services?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Thank you so much for your speedy replies.

My apologies for using the term ombudsman. I sometimes use this term. I did in fact mean POPLA and it was POPLA who told me that I must pay the fines in full.

The hospital in question is the Pilgrim Hospital in Boston, Lincolnshire. The parking company is Parking Eye.

As for understanding the principles of parking for staff, patients and visitors, well, I knew that I had 20 minutes. I have investigated this kind of information and no other hospital enforces these rules so vigourously. Boston's Pilgrim Hospital seems to be a law unto itself. Parking Eye have threatened to take me to court should I not pay the fines. OK, I now see that they are not fines as such, but more akin to invoices. I am slowly trying to get my head around this and I thank you all for pointing me in the right direction.

I don't know PALS - I will investigate. Thank you.

The whitelisting is something I have looked at but it has not been necessary for any of the other hospitals (There are about a dozen) which I regularly visit. Also, thank you for the tip about getting in touch with the trust. As for removing my services, this is my bread an butter and while I understand that this could be a useful tactic for rectifying this situation, I would be too scared that it would backfire in my face and that I would lose the work altogether.

Thank you again. Alison.
  • edited 30 December 2019 at 6:00PM
    RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2019 at 6:00PM
    nobody told you they were fines , because they are not fines

they are Parking Charge (pcn) Invoices, nothing more

POPLA did not tell you to pay , they mentioned that they are still outstanding and advised that they should be paid , not MUST be paid, they cannot force you to pay anyone at all, only a judge can state that you MUST pay them , in a Judgment, in court (so not MUST)

you cannot appeal a POPLA decision, but you can challenge it in court, when you defend against the pcn`s

google PALS for this hospital, complain to your MP as well, start being pro active

I suggest you get the vehicles (s) whitelisted at all of them ASAP , to avoid any more, because it will keep happening , so fix the broken pipe asap, then do the mopping up
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to act sharpish on this. Parking Eye will follow through on their threats to go to court.

Involve the hospital CEO if necessary.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Complain to your MP and the PM. Mr Johnson has promised to resolve this sort of thing so here is an early opportunity for him to do so.

Tell local and national press.

Get the vehicle whitelisted but don't take another job at this hospital until you have a promise in writing that the charges will be cancelled, and you will not get any more.
    Tell the hospital why you are withdrawing your services.

Get pics of the site and signage as soon as possible in case parking lie take you to court.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Thanks all once again. I will get a letter drafted immediately and act on your instructions. Not sure if Mr Johnson would take an interest, but you never know.

What a great place this is. This forum was recommended to me by a friend and I am so glad I wrote to you. Thank you so much again.

Alison.
  • edited 30 December 2019 at 7:15PM
    FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2019 at 7:15PM
    Boris recently announced a new parking policy for hospitals which I believe includes free parking for staff (look it up). I would suggest you qualify as (support) staff, so yes, I really would write to him.

Tell him you have stopped work at this hospital as a result of these unfair charges from unregulated parking scammers. Copy the hospital trust/manager in on your letter to the PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Hello all at MSE!

Regretably, my first post is a question about multiple parking fines, but I am rather desperate to get this matter resolved.

I am a taxi driver and regularly do work for the NHS hospital transport service via another company. This involves the dropping off and collecting of patients.

Only one hospital in particular has been a problem and I have now ammassed four parking fines while I help the patients, many of whom are seriously ill and cannot walk, into and out of the hospital in wheelchairs. I am not on the hospital premises for long but I sometimes go over the 20 minute waiting limit while looking for patients that are not where they are supposed to be or they are delayed waiting for a doctor to discharge them or awaiting medication.

I took this matter to the Ombudsman, explaining the situation, that I need to visit this hospital for work purposes, but I can only guess that they didn't read my letter properly as they said that I must pay the fines. How can this be right?

The problem is, this is crippling my income to such an extent that I may be out of business very soon.

PLEASE tell me that there is something I can do about this. How do I challenge the parking company? Can I challenge the Ombudsman? Am I now forced to pay the fines since I took the matter further to the Ombudsman?

Thank you for any advice.

Alison.

You know what they say about those who continue to do the same thing and expect to obtain a different result.

Just buy a ticket in future
    Patient car parking at Pilgrim Hospital, Boston costs £1.70 for 0-1 hours, £4.20 for 1-4 hours and £5 for over 4 hours. A daily charge of £1.90 per day has been implemented for Blue Badge holders. Concessions are available for those receiving some benefits, cancer patients and regular visitors.

You can also pay using the good2go app.
    https://www.nhs.uk/services/hospitals/facilities/defaultview.aspx?id=1271
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS