We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new good, bad and ugly of growing your own in 2020

Options

Comments

• carinjo
    carinjo Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We still have flowers on some of the runners and will leave them in the ground until after the frost - not just the leaves - I think I recall the roots are nitrogen fixers and should be left in the ground to rot, to be followed by potatoes next year. I've also got two courgette plants still producing (albeit smaller) fruits - made soup with some this week. The rain certainly made them grow. 

I also cut all the tomatoes down this week and have three punnets to ripen and freeze.
    I forgot about the nitrogen fixing! Since mine is a permanent bed I read that I can dig out a trench, fill it with kitchen waste for a month or so and then fill it up again. Will try that.
    I was honestly surprised with the amount of tomatoes 10 plants produced. Yesterday made sweet tomato jam from 2kg for first time, my sister was a big help and it came out great. Got another 2kg ripening. 
    If the weather plays along tomorrow going to plant some herbs in herb box and maybe some flower bulbs.
    It's good for the soul to walk with your soles on the soil. 
  • comingsoon
    Options
    hello everybody!
  • DiggerUK
    DiggerUK Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well, whatever your views on the possibility of a Groundhog Day lockdown in England/Wales, introducing another 47 tiers in Scotland or closing Ireland, I think it best to be prepared.

We have some substantial groundwork plans and have a wagon load of stuff we ordered yesterday arriving soon. Alongside the builders bags of this, that and the other, we added in bags of Peat, Ericaceous and bog standard compost, so we can have the luxury of not humping them in and out of the estate.
    We also collected a load of half price seeds and half dead pansies and violas.

We got shedloads done last lockdown and I don't give a sod this time. We are gardening on..._
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    I know what you mean @DiggerUK - we have groaning freezers full of stuff we ave grown this year and loads of leeks, squahes and potatoes around the place. We just need it to stop raining so we can get out there
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Ellie78
    Ellie78 Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can I ask a question of the experienced veg growers here?   

I'd like to sacrifice part of my lawn to grow veg next year (while I'm waiting for an allotment plot).  Am I better off waiting until very early spring or should I start to prepare the bed now? 

Our garden has very heavy clay soil so would a raised bed be best?  What would your suggestions be for digging into the ground/building a raised bed/dealing with the turf etc?   The garden is south facing and is a little sun trap in summer.
    Mortgage - £23,500 remaining
    MFW2021 #8 - £2,519.77/£3,000
    Overpayments: 2020 - £4,722.83 / 2019 - £16,042.00
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    @Ellie78 OK, - Here are my thoughts. We used to have heavy clay at our last house. It is full of good nutrients but a pig to work with. My grandad used to say you needed the frost to get in and break up the clods. So definitely doing the prep now, ahead of next Spring.

I would definitely put in a raised bed or 2 ( scaffold boards are good and cheap and last 8-10 years without treating - beware of preservatives - not good on the inside!) and either kill the grass or cut out turves in the bed (if you've got a compost area, stack the turves there so the organic matter rots and is reincorporated and you can use them later). I would not dig deeper than the turf depth (8-10cm). Your raised bed(s) need to be narrow enough to reach the middle comfortably when you are weeding or picking so maybe 2 with a path between - topped with weed-proof permeable membrane or cardboard before covering with maybe free-cycle (FB Marketplace) slabs with bark chips around them.

Then I would fill with a mix of horticultural sand, leaf loam and compost to open the structure. If you then top with some weighted down cardboard the worms will do their stuff in winter to pull the new stuff down, and even if that is limited, it will give you a good basis for planting next Spring. If you look at a classic 4 crop rotation in your beds potatoes will really help to break up the clay and leave you with nice crumbly soil after you harvest them. If you think all this stuff will be at your allotment is a year or two, look at premium crops or stuff you love eating for your garden. With a south facing plot you can grow most things. Personally it is soft fruit and salads so you are picking throughout. How exiting - good luck!
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Ellie78
    Options
    That's great, thanks @Suffolk_lass !    I was thinking two narrow raised beds with a path between so good to know I'm heading in the right direction.  
  • LessImpecunious
    Options
    Hi @Ellie78 - if you fancy a less labour-intensive option you might like to look at the no-dig option for starting off new beds - https://charlesdowding.co.uk/start-here/Good luck!
  • Ellie78
    Options
    Hi @Ellie78 - if you fancy a less labour-intensive option you might like to look at the no-dig option for starting off new beds - https://charlesdowding.co.uk/start-here/Good luck!
    Yes I've just started watching his youtube videos!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Ellie78 said:
    Yes I've just started watching his youtube videos!
    Roger Brook is quite good too (a blog, that I see has not been updated since June but some good advice and articles) Link here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport