We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new good, bad and ugly of growing your own in 2020

Options

Comments

• Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think I'll have time to get in the garden today and it's blowing a gale out there at the moment. Yesterday I had the greenhouse cleaned.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    K.Mack wrote: »
    Good evening all,

I was wondering what sort of fertiliser you use. I've seen 6X being used as well as fungi and plant food pellets (such as miracle grow for instance). I don't want to waste money on unnecessary things.

Our fertiliser is primarily pelleted chicken manure - we bought a big bucket years ago - accompanied by compost from our bin. We have two compost bins (aka “the daleks”) and have been known to fill them with horse manure from a local stables, just to generate enough compost. Keep an eye out - several stables I know have signs outside, “Free horse manure BYO bag”.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    K.Mack wrote: »
    Good evening all,

I was wondering what sort of fertiliser you use. I've seen 6X being used as well as fungi and plant food pellets (such as miracle grow for instance). I don't want to waste money on unnecessary things.

I use a combination. Luckily I have a friend who keeps horses and donkies so I get several sacks of well rotted manure each year- sometimes a lot of it!

For the flower borders I generally put 4-6 inches deep over the whole border and let the weather/ worms work it in. For my new veg garden I intend to dig in a sackful every square yard into the beds as I create them.

For general watering I use miricle grow or tomato food diluted as directed on the bottle.

For a general boost I use Chicken Manure Pellets and Fish, Blood and Bone scattered and hoed in.

Home compost gets spread around as and when.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • lynneee
    lynneee Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all! I have been lurking since the beginning of this thread but thought it would be more polite to join in! Thanks for all the great tips so far.
    I've been growing quite a bit of veg for a few years now, but want to be smarter and extend the growing season this year.
    Last week I ordered all my new seeds and I am trying a few new things.
    Today I cleaned out the greenhouse and washed all the glass so it's all ready to go! I have been saving toilet rolls, plastic bottles and plastic trays as I'm trying to be as frugal and green as possible! I tend to use the flower buckets that M0rris0ns sell off for some of my veg, and my tomatoes tend to do very well in them.
    Going to get out in the greenhouse tomorrow and get some onions, leeks, chilli's and peppers started. Should I keep them in the house or can I keep them in the greenhouse? I'm in the North West so don't want the cold to get them!
    mortgage £800 overpayment 2022. £600/£2400 2023 🙂 savings £1853/£1800 😊
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,925 Forumite
    Options
    Sorted out seeds on Saturday.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Phoned the garden centre yesterday - they have their seed potatoes in:) I must go there soon but at the moment the end of year accounts are shouting louder. Should be able to make it on Wednesday
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    lynneee wrote: »
    Evening all! I have been lurking since the beginning of this thread but thought it would be more polite to join in! Thanks for all the great tips so far.
    I've been growing quite a bit of veg for a few years now, but want to be smarter and extend the growing season this year.
    Last week I ordered all my new seeds and I am trying a few new things.
    Today I cleaned out the greenhouse and washed all the glass so it's all ready to go! I have been saving toilet rolls, plastic bottles and plastic trays as I'm trying to be as frugal and green as possible! I tend to use the flower buckets that M0rris0ns sell off for some of my veg, and my tomatoes tend to do very well in them.
    Going to get out in the greenhouse tomorrow and get some onions, leeks, chilli's and peppers started. Should I keep them in the house or can I keep them in the greenhouse? I'm in the North West so don't want the cold to get them!

I'm new to greenhouse gardening so just experimenting. I probably have ordered too many seeds! I suggest starting them in the house if you don't have access to a heated propagator- especially the chilli seeds as they like higher temperatures and light to get going.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »
    I'm new to greenhouse gardening so just experimenting. I probably have ordered too many seeds! I suggest starting them in the house if you don't have access to a heated propagator- especially the chilli seeds as they like higher temperatures and light to get going.

Chillis like to germinate at around room temperature apparently, the warmer the better. So a south facing windowsill is probably best (cat permitting). Double glazed or not, I tend to pull seedlings away from the window and raise them an inch or so to mitigate the the effect of cold air descending down the inside of the window (that's the theory anyway)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In other news, been out of sorts again for a few days, but hopefully that's passing. My society garlic plants from Marshalls arrived today, so looking forward to obsessing over where to plant them out, turns out they also work as pond marginals, so that gives me an extra dimension (or an extra pond needs digging). Meanwhile after putting the one good oca in my ramen yesterday, I'm chitting the remaining handful. They like to be chitted by all accounts

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    Phoned the garden centre yesterday - they have their seed potatoes in:)

So do Wilko! I was there today but as I was on my bicycle and then off on holiday shortly think I'll wait.

I don't think all their stock is in: either that or they've already sold out of asparagus and rhubarb crowns and dormant strawberries..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure