PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2020 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Another NSD today.

Using a tin of Duck Confit that’s been in the cupboard for months, will roast that with roast potatoes, tenderstem broccoli and carrots.

Will use some wrinkly apples to make a crumble, and leftovers will make lentil and bacon soup for work lunches
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • purpleybat
    Options
    hello all,

why is it that as soon as i leave the house someone texts me to ask me to pick something up prompting me to buy something i'm sure i need and therefore upping my spends?
    due to that happening i've added £22.23 to my list of spends. my weeks shoppings had come in at just under £16 so while it's not lots extra it's still stuff i didn't really need.

rooting throo the freezer for dinner the other night i saw what i thought was pasta sauce, with a bit of a cold and no sense of smell i made it into a lasagne only to find it was a minced beef and tomato curry. now i'm happy with curry shepherds pie (have been having odd combos recently due to labels falling off) but curry lasagne is NOT pleasant. in fact it just was downright WRONG

looking in the fridge today i have seen broccoli on the turn so i plan to cut the ends of the yellow florets off and make the rest into a potato and brocc soup for lunches. it'll use my last couple of sprouty spuds up at the same time.

i have a morries order booked for weds eve (cheapest delivery i've found) and i need to tweek it. i have friends over for dinner on saturday and i need spices and stuff. also it will have other stuff on it that i can't get from lidls like own brand marmite, marzipan etc. morries is a good hour or so to walk to or a very expensive cab ride so the £1.50 on delivery is worth it.

other than that i'm hoping i'll only need veggies and bread this week as still working throo UFOs

:D
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    €58.44 spent in Aldi and Lidl over today and yesterday

The Aldi haul included lots of cheese which my husband eats quite s bit of plus some of his reduced Christmas goodies. They do something called Porvornes (think I’ve spelt it right!) and he got 4kg of them for €4 which he was delighted with.

Aldi has some offers on Frito (like passata only nicer), peppers, Indian spices, naan and oriental stuff which they rarely do. We’ve got to go back Monday as they have got chickpeas and lentils on offer which I use a lot of so will stock up on that. I’m trying to wear down what we have got in at the moment.

€171.76 left

€4.45 spent

We went for a long walk earlier and our girl was hungry so got her some snacks plus water and bread for soup later

€167.31
    :money::rotfl::T
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    A visit to Greggs today for a Vegan bake. I had a free Vodaphone code for a sweet treat and a coffee too. And then a few bits in MrT for the week's sandwiches. Will have to call into Sainsbugs this week for a couple of bits, but hoping to end next week spending only £4.90 - so I will have £100 left for the last two weeks of Jan.

£195.90/£300
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • jasminesaver
    Options
    Today I spent £9.34 (!!!) in Lidl for my weekly shop - bearing in mind that I am only shopping for myself - and a further £5.85 in Iceland on frozen food. So my total for this weekly shop is £15.19 - now I have £9.81 left in my budget for extra stuff. Really happy with that spend but I do think I will need to go to the Co-op later this week for extra bits.
    Student MoneySaver SPC #132 2019: £99.30 2020: ?? 2019 Wins: 'The Europhile's Cookbook'
    2020 Grocery Challenge Budget: £25 per week Jan Spend: £82.88/£75 Feb Spend: ?/£100
  • £30.75/£100 spent Annual (27 Dec - 26 Dec) £1,325 to be updated when declare for the month so as not to confuse myself after month 1 ;) cat food £43.70

Hello all, reading posts and trying to catch up with all the news :)

Spends from me have been recorded from 27th December - shopping has included toilet and kitchen roll this week, a little stock up on some tins and decent coffee - we have tried and failed with so many cheaper versions :o

I'll aim to keep the spends at £25 this week as well. I am really aiming to reduce the amount of food we have in our house this year. i'm not sure when we started doing a weekly shop every week even though not much was needed? Habit and upbringing?

It is one of my goals to really reduce what we have - the dried and tinned goods won't fit in the cupboards & yes - i did just buy more - of course, we had eaten all of those types though. So surfaces are untidy because of this. I also have lots of toiletries - again won't fit in the cupboards causing mess in other places :o We do have a very tiny home but still!

I am so very grateful for this thread it is a huge help to me :T off to check out the 1p thread mentioned.
    Mortgage Balance
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, just updating.

I keep trying to make a meal plan, but it seems to work better for me to have 3/4 meals in the freezer ready for anytime and then everyday see what I can use up first. If there is nothing to use up I use a freezer meal. So I can let go of the planning,which I don't enjoy, without guilt!

I'm quite enjoying cooking at the moment. Sometimes I get fed up of it and go through phases of 'get your own' but me cooking is definitely more economical! This is where the challenge really helps!

The only thing left in the garden from last year is 4/5 multicoloured beetroot and I'm wondering what I can do with them. I can make soup but are they nice just steamed as a veg?

Hope everybody's month is going well.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening All

Popping in to declare a spend at MrT’s. £11.53 spent on yoghurts, mushrooms, peppers, some wholewheat tortillas and some YS salad (44p). The veg will keep us going for a while.

We also cleared £2.14 of change out of the Grocery Challenge purse, which brings our spend for the month to £44.18/£132.20, leaving £88.02 for the remainder of the month.

Beyond today/tomorrow, I don’t really have a meal plan for the week. Dinner tonight is haggis with roast potatoes and the remaining broccoli from last week. While I prepped for that, I made dhal for lunches (3 lunchboxes each) and turned three of the tortillas, the salad and some sliced chicken into wraps for dinner tomorrow night. (We’re going to see Frank Skinner perform.) Tuesday, we’ve got enough frozen lunchboxes so that we don’t have to have dhal again, but I have no idea yet for dinner. It’s one of the three days this week where I’ll be facing a 2 hour commute, so I will need to come up with something that is either quick or simple.

- Pip (waiting for inspiration to strike)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Popping in to record my spends, managed to get a few bargains on meat on thursday so my freezers are well and truly jammed full. One needs defrosting so will make it my mission to eat the food in it by the end of jan so I can clean it out before restocking.

So far this month I've spent just over £236, I get 2 £40 deliveries per week usually (its the minimum spend) but as I've got so much in, I'm going to cut down to 1 delivery and possibly 1 click and collect (£25 minimum spend), in the hope that I can keep to my goal of £380.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    Evening all

Declaring my spends for last weekend of 37.27 at Morries and 3.89 at butchers. During the week OH decided we needed a few bits so another spend of 4.50 on bread and crisps.

No shopping this week as will use tinned fruit, frozen veg and make our own bread.

Total spend so far 45.66/200.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure