New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Boot 50% sale has started online

121 replies 29.4K views

Replies

• Desperado99Desperado99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking in :money:

Other websites (although MSE has already picked up on it) are saying 31st Jan, but I haven't seen any real indicators other than that's the closest to last year's date. Hopefully they'll announce it the night before like they've done in the last few years.

I'm not in it for a big haul this year (the kids are growing up) although the Harry Potter stuff is calling me :D
  • moneysaver890moneysaver890 Forumite
    181 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    I never want loads of stuff, I just get bits for myself these days. Used to shop for presents but dont bother as I was just buying for the sake of it and its all the same sets year after year.

I usually just get S&G sets (there wasnt any last year so hoping theres some this year) and Sanctuary Sets for myself.

Its more the tradition of going now :rotfl: the one I go to is still absolute mayhem (Meadowhall) with people charging though the shop as soon as the shutters come up and scooping whole shelf fulls of stuff into bags :rotfl:
    Im never "desperate" to get anything so I usually just pick a few bits up then stand back and watch the mayhem :rotfl::rotfl:
  • sampan26sampan26 Forumite
    640 posts
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    I popped in on my way past this morning and there is TONNES of stock eft. Loads of No7, Ted Baker and make up, which usually goes right way in the Boxing Day massacre!

I think i will be popping along, but not a huge haul for me, as i feel like my friends are a little over Boots bargains now!

I did think Friday 31st, but we shall see, eh?! :)
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it now I did well at the 90% off sale. As I was on maternity I was lucky to be able to go in quite early one morning. I got my niece 2 big make up sets and a mug set for less than £10 which did her birthday.
    :money::rotfl::T
  • cagsdcagsd Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I won, I won, I won!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in the store at Speke retail yesterday - popped in to look for some reduced wrapping paper or cards, but there were none whatsoever!
    What there was though, was shelves upon shelves of Harry Potter stuff - cosmetic bags, sets of bath bombs, makeup and makeup brushes, etc - as well as loads of Yardley (seriously, it's stock from Christmas 2019 not 1979!! Have they slipped into a time warp?!)
    Other things I spotted were the big S&G tins plus a few smaller S&G products such as soap on a rope and a mini eye makeup set. Some Ted Baker, kids products, mens stuff, but no No 7 or other big names.
    Absolutely nothing I'd want as it's vastly overpriced. For example the Yardley sets were marked at £20 so that'd make them £6 at 70% off. The prices are ridiculous for what you get, and I no longer buy for extended family anyway so I have no need to get anything. I used to love the Boots sale years ago but I feel it's had its day now.

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    cagsd wrote: »
    I was in the store at Speke retail yesterday - popped in to look for some reduced wrapping paper or cards, but there were none whatsoever!
    What there was though, was shelves upon shelves of Harry Potter stuff - cosmetic bags, sets of bath bombs, makeup and makeup brushes, etc - as well as loads of Yardley (seriously, it's stock from Christmas 2019 not 1979!! Have they slipped into a time warp?!)
    Other things I spotted were the big S&G tins plus a few smaller S&G products such as soap on a rope and a mini eye makeup set. Some Ted Baker, kids products, mens stuff, but no No 7 or other big names.
    Absolutely nothing I'd want as it's vastly overpriced. For example the Yardley sets were marked at £20 so that'd make them £6 at 70% off. The prices are ridiculous for what you get, and I no longer buy for extended family anyway so I have no need to get anything. I used to love the Boots sale years ago but I feel it's had its day now.

I think Boots used to have some exclusivity with ranges but now the likes of HP is everywhere (not sure where the sudden popularity has reemerged from?) and the difficult thing is that what is popular with the ages the likes of HP is aimed at one year won't necessarily be popular the next so it's hard to buy for the next year. Plus 'kids' of that age notice things in store and if they appear after for birthday or the following year as presents.

I guess there must be some business decision for the Yardley ...perhaps there are min order qtys which would result in the constant excess stock still being worthwhile vs profitability.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• LavendarLavendar Forumite
    55 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    I must be one of the few people who actually like Yardly. Looking in the Stratford Westfield branch today not a huge amount have seen more in the 70% sale likewise at the Enfield branch. Don't think there will be much in the 70% and 90% sale.
  • luxor4tluxor4t Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swansea was very low last time I looked, but that was more than a week ago.
    Very little HP stuff, but plenty of Yardley shower gel etc.

If I needed everyday toiletries, I would buy as it was always a decent quality, but as I haven't been to a 75/70% sale for at least three years and I am still working my way through my stash, I will avoid the sale again this year.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • FiggiFiggi Forumite
    239 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭
    I think we will go back to the pattern after last year and it will be Wednesday 22nd.

This is just me speculating at the moment but if I get told anything I’ll report back
  • Desperado99Desperado99 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Speculating is half the fun (probably more) ;) I miss the old days of waiting up to see if the website goes down and waltzing into my local store when even the staff didn't know the prices had dropped.........

At least if it's late January, it'll be after payday :D