New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Should they make me redundant

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
14 replies 2K views
DsharrisDsharris
7 posts
Forumite
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Redundancy & Redundancy Planning
Hi all. I am lorry driver and I work for a company in Rainham Essex yet I live in Barnsley South Yorkshire. They were based in barnsley but relocated to essex and made everyone redundant but kept me on and pay for parking in barnsley. On Friday I park the lorry in Barnsley and then drive it down to Essex on the Monday , I do deliveries and collections on the way down, then through the week, and fridays I normally have deliveries in the north of England so I can then come home so the lorry is parked in Barnsley over the weekend and when ever I'm on holiday etc. I have been doing this for 11 years.My employer is now wanting to have the lorry parked in Rainham over the weekends and is expecting me to commute every week. This is a 194mile each way journey. I believe that this is an unreasonable change to my job and that they should make me redundant? Any help with this would be gratefully appreciated as I have a meeting with the boss on Monday

Replies

• Alter_egoAlter_ego
    2.8K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Redundancy is when a job no longer exists
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
  • Dsharris wrote: »
    I believe that this is an unreasonable change to my job and that they should make me redundant?

I would tend to agree with you (assuming you don't have a mobility clause in your contract):-

https://www.gov.uk/employer-relocation-your-rights

I think all you can do on Monday is tell your employer that unfortunately you're not going to be able to move, and ask them for confirmation of the redundancy terms.
  • Carrot007Carrot007
    3K posts
    Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless the parking is contractual then you have no reason to be made redundant, and it is a making of your own issue.

Check your contract and tell us.

No need for two threads because you did not like the sound of the first!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=6081966
  • I am sorry but I couldn't work out how to edit my post so I did another one to explain things a bit better
  • grahamgoo wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with you (assuming you don't have a mobility clause in your contract):-

https://www.gov.uk/employer-relocation-your-rights

I think all you can do on Monday is tell your employer that unfortunately you're not going to be able to move, and ask them for confirmation of the redundancy terms.
    The employer moved 11 years ago, so it can hardly be argued that the "relocation" is a reason for redundancy 11 years later. And since the OP has been commuting weekly from Barnsley to Rainham for that whole time, it is way less simple than you suggest. I'd have to say that this is definitely one for legal advice, because there is the potential for a number of possible outcomes and the devil will be in the detail.

That would be, it would be advisable to get legal advice on this, but not worth bothering if the OP resigns and doesn't go back to work at all, as they have suggested two days ago that they intend to do.
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less
    39K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you can establish that 11 years ago your primary base was changed from the local work place to home/parking lot and now they want to change that to the Essex bas that would be a redundancy(old job has gone, new job failed the suitable alternative test on relocation grounds.
  • I'm sorry but where did I say I intend to resign?
  • comeandgocomeandgo
    3.1K posts
    Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you do have a very good redundancy case. Are you in a union? I have just been made redundant because my office has moved three hundred miles.
  • Not in a union unfortunately
  • JoxJox
    1.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Can you call ACAS for advice from them?
    Debts Dec 2019: Barclaycard cc: £4047, Santander cc: £2461, Sainsburys cc: £2178, MBNA cc: £3839, Mortgage: £217,531
    Emergency fund: £4880
    Aiming to pay off credit cards by Dec 2021 or sooner!