2020 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Elisheba - I couldn't find the Sneaky Ways to Saving Pennies Thread. Would you be able to paste up a link so I can have a look at it is possible? Thank you.
    Hi Crafty Lisa,
    This is the link to the second one, which I'm currently reading my way through, and it has a link to the first thread as well.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2426287&page=46#topofpage
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Made a little bowl to keep bits and pieces in on my dressing table from scraps of fabric.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went back through the links to the threads in 2007 and 2008, and had a reread. That has got me doing the £1000 in 100 days. So far I have managed to put by £245, so that is getting me thinking about a lot of other things I need to do to be on point.

Savvy can you put a link to the £1000 in 100 days thread/challenge please?
  • A_Random_Man
    A_Random_Man Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Evening everyone just a brief updated from me car passed service without any major issues being identified, the only thing that will need changing in the future is the front tyres which I knew would need replacing in the future how they fine for time being.

I also plan to ditch my credit card which has been taken out really recently, as I have noticed that my monthly spend on food has increased as a result of using the card. I used the card up until Friday when I got paid and will use cash from henceforth. I may keep the card for emergencies and just fill it up with fuel every month.

Apart from that I am planning a NSD tomorrow, hope everyone is okay

EF - £1025/£2000 (51.25%)
    Debt Remaining: £0.00 - Debt Free
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jazee wrote: »
    Ordered a year's supply of antihistamine tablets for £8.79 via MSE tips.

Have you got a link please? The search function isn't working on my phone :o
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    Have you got a link please? The search function isn't working on my phone :o
    It's the chemist4u site. Just google it. You can also get cash back.
    When you do the product search put in cetirizine hydro.....it will come up with the options.

Hope this helps.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Elisheba
    Options
    I'm loaded with a cold and cough today and I've made my own cough syrup after a bit of googling. I used 1/2 tbs ginger, 2 tbs honey, 2 tbs lemon juice, 1/2 tbs dried thyme, and about 4 tbs hot water. I added a dash of cinnamon just for flavour, then shook it in a clean, old jam jar. It's definitely calming for the tickly cough. I might add a bit more ginger in future though. Just to say I had all this in the house already. Not hugely frugal to go out and buy all this stuff as it would probably be more expensive than a basic cough bottle.

Other than that, I made pasta today where I added boiling water and it brought to the boil in a pot with a lit on, then I turned the heat off and left it for 20 mins. Perfect pasta! This was value pasta, so if you are using nicer stuff maybe leave it a little less time?

I'm also still using teabags twice, and watering down the milk. With this cold all I'm really bothered about is having hot drinks to sip so it's not bothering me in the slightest.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Elisheba wrote: »
    I'm loaded with a cold and cough today and I've made my own cough syrup after a bit of googling. I used 1/2 tbs ginger, 2 tbs honey, 2 tbs lemon juice, 1/2 tbs dried thyme, and about 4 tbs hot water. I added a dash of cinnamon just for flavour, then shook it in a clean, old jam jar. It's definitely calming for the tickly cough. I might add a bit more ginger in future though. Just to say I had all this in the house already. Not hugely frugal to go out and buy all this stuff as it would probably be more expensive than a basic cough bottle.

Other than that, I made pasta today where I added boiling water and it brought to the boil in a pot with a lit on, then I turned the heat off and left it for 20 mins. Perfect pasta! This was value pasta, so if you are using nicer stuff maybe leave it a little less time?

I'm also still using teabags twice, and watering down the milk. With this cold all I'm really bothered about is having hot drinks to sip so it's not bothering me in the slightest.

Hope you are feeling better soon Elisheba :)
  • Elisheba
    Options
    Thanks, Miss Empty Piggy. I fell asleep on the sofa for most of the afternoon!
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 January 2020 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Elisheba - Hope you are feeling better today.

Am up to 12 NSD's. There were 2 days which were unexpected spending. Met someone who I have not seen for a while whilst collecting my prescription - went for tea in a cafe and I paid for them as she paid for things last time we met. Another day I brought some natural remedy that was on offer for 3 for 2 did save £10. Do tend to use this remedy on a regular basis at the moment. Slowly getting things sorted for a bank staff admin agency work. Had the appointment for the mental health 12 week programme and got accepted onto it. Start it next month. Did pay for something I want to attend in July - a Thames river cruise with a disco etc on board it is related to the singer who I really like. Am planning to try and be more careful about spending the rest of the month. I do plan to go on another guided walk in London this Saturday which will cost £10.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport