Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Sainsburys 100% increase in cost of carrier bags - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Sainsburys 100% increase in cost of carrier bags

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Gone Off!
67 replies 14.6K views

Replies

• LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aldi and Lidl don't give free bag replacements either but to some they are "German discounters" and not supermarkets. Well the folk who shop at Sainsbury's say this to make themselves feel superior.
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeeUK wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl don't give free bag replacements either but to some they are "German discounters" and not supermarkets. Well the folk who shop at Sainsbury's say this to make themselves feel superior.

And if I forget my bags while at Aldi/Lidl I grab a cardboard box on the way round to put my shopping in. And once home it goes in the recycling.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Lip_StickLip_Stick Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aldi and Lidl have never had bags for life though, have they? Thought we were talking about those that have previously sold them. Not many people actually swap their bags for life. I get maybe a couple a week. I think the scheme should be stopped anyway, then maybe the stupid wouldn't overload their bags then get a freebie when the handle breaks.
    There's a storm coming, Cameron. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    calleyw wrote: »
    And if I forget my bags while at Aldi/Lidl I grab a cardboard box on the way round to put my shopping in. And once home it goes in the recycling.

Yours

Calley x

Can do that at any supermarket. Also the OP was wanting bags for the bin, a box is no good.
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeeUK wrote: »
    Can do that at any supermarket. Also the OP was wanting bags for the bin, a box is no good.

I was replying to the people who said about forgotten bags and buying more just because they had none to hand and not the OP and wanting to line bins with them.

Not really. I tend to get a box that fruit and veg come in as they are stronger and bigger. Most of the other supermarkets use plastic crates for fruit and veg. And not all put boxes up on the shelf or they are flimsy and strange shapes.So not much use to me.

Your

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • woolythoughtswoolythoughts Forumite
    244 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Self service till - take bags. "Forget" to press the number button to say how many you've used.

= Free Bags

Haven't paid for one since they came in!

Lots of good rubbish bags do I have
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Self service till - take bags. "Forget" to press the number button to say how many you've used.

= Free Bags

Haven't paid for one since they came in!

Lots of good rubbish bags do I have
    No idea where you shop but the two I use do not have any bags at self checkout to [STRIKE]steal [/STRIKE]"forget" to count
  • Bogof_BabeBogof_Babe Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the original idea of charging for them was to reduce or eliminate the number of plastic bags blowing around the streets and hanging from trees. A by-product of that would be the reduction in plastic landfill, but if people are having to buy plastic bin liners instead of using old carrier bags then there's not much benefit to the landfill situation.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• woolythoughtswoolythoughts Forumite
    244 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Farway wrote: »
    No idea where you shop but the two I use do not have any bags at self checkout to [STRIKE]steal [/STRIKE]"forget" to count

Most have them at a central hanger or worse case you have to ask (very rarely)

Even if you have to ask, 99 percent of the time the attendant Hands them to you then wanders off. Only m and s actually scan the bag as they give them to you.

I have no shame stealing bags because I think it’s a !!!! arsed requirement.
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What else do you steal?