Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Comments

• This is a question about the moneysavingexpert website. I cannot find a relevant forum.
    How do I carry out a survey of available gas and electricity tariffs for aged family and clueless friends, in addition to my own?  My login details will always be the same, but the premises' addresses and consumptions will be different.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2020 at 10:17PM
    Start comparing with Citizens Advice and 'Switch with Which?'.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2020 at 10:20PM
    This is a question about the moneysavingexpert website. I cannot find a relevant forum.
    How do I carry out a survey of available gas and electricity tariffs for aged family and clueless friends, in addition to my own?  My login details will always be the same, but the premises' addresses and consumptions will be different.
    This is the relevant board for your question.
    As I see it, you have two options. (1) set up separate accounts for each customer or (2) make a note of your own settings then modify them for each other customer - don't forget to restore your own settings when you have finished.
    I would suggest that (1) would probably be easier.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,581 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 October 2020 at 9:19AM
    This is a question about the moneysavingexpert website. I cannot find a relevant forum.
    This is the relevant board for your question.
    As I see it, you have two options. (1) set up separate accounts for each customer or (2) make a note of your own settings then modify them for each other customer - don't forget to restore your own settings when you have finished.
    I would suggest that (1) would probably be easier.
    Agree that option 1 is better, but it does require a different email address for each login. I do that for others, but as I have my own domain registered, I can add forwarders for any different emal addresses I want on that domain. If you can't do that, consider setting up a dummy email address for each person you are helping (such as gmail) and put a forwarder on the account so that any email that comes to it goes directly to you - if you want to receive such emails that is!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• I have received notification of an increase to my Outfox The Market tariff today (1.10.20) with the increase due 1.11.2020.  I have logged into the Energy Club site, but it tells me I am on the best tariff for me (on current rates of course).  Is there any way (or anywhere) I can put in the new rates they are going to charge me ie manually so that I can do a comparison using those figures?   TIA.  
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Ommbiance said:
    I have received notification of an increase to my Outfox The Market tariff today (1.10.20) with the increase due 1.11.2020.  I have logged into the Energy Club site, but it tells me I am on the best tariff for me (on current rates of course).  Is there any way (or anywhere) I can put in the new rates they are going to charge me ie manually so that I can do a comparison using those figures?   TIA.  
    The CEC doesn't show all suppliers, so you'd be better off starting with Citizens Advice and Switch with 'Which?'.  You know what you'll be paying, so you could just say you're on the British Gas standard tariff and see what results you get.  Don't forget to try separate suppliers which are usually cheaper.
  • Consumerist
    edited 1 October 2020 at 12:27PM
    Ommbiance said:
    I have received notification of an increase to my Outfox The Market tariff today (1.10.20) with the increase due 1.11.2020.  I have logged into the Energy Club site, but it tells me I am on the best tariff for me (on current rates of course).  Is there any way (or anywhere) I can put in the new rates they are going to charge me ie manually so that I can do a comparison using those figures?   TIA.  
    I haven't tried this myself but you might be able to change the tariff to that applicable (i.e. from 01/11/2020) from the OTM tariffs listed.
    Otherwise, it looks like you might have do it manually or using a spreadsheet.

• Ommbiance
    Ommbiance Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I haven't tried this myself but you might be able to change the tariff to that applicable (i.e. from 01/11/2020) from the OTM tariffs listed.

Aha yes that would be handy.  Can't see how to do it on the Energy Club but maybe I'll look again tomorrow as may get updated? as I've only just had my notification today.  But will look at other sites to see if they do that too.  Cheers.
  • I always switch suppliers every two or three years via Uswitch and all usually goes well. The main issue though is the final bill refund from the current suppliers.  I have £300 in credit with my old supplier and my new supplier has already taken a payment (so I’m over £400 out of pocket). The final bill takes 6 weeks to be sent out with a refund which means I will then be £500+ out of pocket. Beware changing is expensive initially and you need to be able to absorb this for this period. 
  • Consumerist
    edited 22 October 2020 at 11:55PM
    . . . I have £300 in credit with my old supplier and my new supplier has already taken a payment (so I’m over £400 out of pocket). The final bill takes 6 weeks to be sent out with a refund which means I will then be £500+ out of pocket. Beware changing is expensive initially and you need to be able to absorb this for this period. 
    Hi djmcguiness and welcome to the forum.
    Yes, this is an old chestnut. On the bright side, if you had not switched then that £300 credit balance might have been swallowed up in energy charges so you would never have seen it again.
    As far as I'm concerned it's worth the 8-week wait to get the refund. I agree, however, that people should plan for it when switching.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback