🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 October 2010 at 7:46PM
    Options
    hoopstars wrote: »
    ...Their Ts&Cs even state that the offer is open to anyone with either a single or two rate meter...

:huh:

I'm a little confused as to what you are wanting SP to supply you with.

Obviously you need a two rate meter to be supplied on E7.

If, however, you are now hoping to be billed on a single rate tariff, then whilst some suppliers are prepared to supply this with a dual rate meter, Scottish Power isn't one of them. SP will charge to have the meter changed if you currently have a dual rate meter and want them to bill you on a single rate tariff.

If you need a meter change, best to go direct to the supplier and negotiate the switch on the basis a new meter is required. If you try and do it online, then you will probably get refused (or worse still accepted and stuck on a different tariff)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Zeppelinzx
    Options
    Been checking the comparison websites and eon or npower seem far cheaper than my current provider of scottish power, bit of a dumb question this but I can't decide between the two and my main fear is that they suck you in with cheap prices and then suddenly its not all that cheap.

Is there any general feeling towards the two? One to avoid?

Suppose they are all the same, mind you
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    Options
    I too have Economy 7 and did have a problem switching from Scottish Power to National Power.
    NP accepted me on a low cost tariff and then decided "my meter was unsuitable" and stuck me on their standard rate (E7) tariff; so I migrated back to SP.

I am currently with EDF.

My meter is the size of a big post card, it was installed by EDF the South East's network manager, and we had fun and games as I was being charged for another customer's meter and the readings on my meter are the opposite way round to the readings on the "tablet" that the meter reader uses.
    My meter scrolls round:

1. Night tariff reading.
    2. Day tariff reading.
    Both added together.
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Zeppelinzx wrote: »
    Been checking the comparison websites and eon or npower seem far cheaper than my current provider of scottish power, bit of a dumb question this but I can't decide between the two and my main fear is that they suck you in with cheap prices and then suddenly its not all that cheap.

Is there any general feeling towards the two? One to avoid?

Suppose they are all the same, mind you

Eon have a higher "service rating" (less complaints) according to energyhelpline and don't forget with npower "discounts will be paid to you annually in arrears from your final bill of each 12-month period" - so you will only fully benefit from the quoted savings if you are with them for at least 1 year and then another full year after that for the ongoing savings.

Cancellation (to switch supplier) charges are £30 for eon and £40 for npower (dual fuel).

Cashback is £40 for npower (but you have to wait 6 months for half of it) and £55 for eon, npower has more negative comments/lower merchant rating than eon on topcashback:
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/npower/
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/eon-domestic/

So on balance I would go for Eon personally.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Simple perhaps, but not the cheapest it would seem
    (nor the simplest which would probably be to apprach the supplier direct or go via the comparison site used).

Energyhelpline may list npower as cheapest but don't forget with npower "discounts will be paid to you annually in arrears from your final bill of each 12-month period" - so you will only fully benefit from the quoted savings if you are with them for at least 1 year and then another full year after that for the ongoing savings. So eon may well be the cheapest (as they came second in the comparison) unless the customer plans to stick with npower for exactly 12 months and only then switch or stay for another full 12 months.

As for simplest how is clicking a link on the comparison site any simpler than clicking a link on a cashback site like topcashback/quidco? Use the comparison site to check the best price then use the cashback site link so you get the commission (cashback) rather than the comparison site getting it. Takes 10 seconds longer and they will be £55 better off. :D
    -- Author Unknown --
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    If you want a simple answer - go for eon via Quidco

Agreed, or even better via Topcashback:
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/quidco
    -- Author Unknown --
  • blahblahdoh
    Options
    Agreed, or even better via Topcashback:
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/quidco

Good point.
    The MSE cashback checker claims that TopCashBack offer no cashback for Eon, (possibly because they are listed as e.on?), but you are more accurate. :) :T
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As for simplest how is clicking a link on the comparison site any simpler than clicking a link on a cashback site like topcashback/quidco? Use the comparison site to check the best price then use the cashback site link so you get the commission (cashback) rather than the comparison site getting it. Takes 10 seconds longer and they will be £55 better off. :D

A tried to pre-empt another scenario and made the post even more prone to criticism :o

What I meant was the simplest approach is to contact a supplier direct. That assumes you already have decided on a supplier like the poster I was quoting had.

If not, and one is interested in moneysaving (as hopefully most people who read this are) then they should use a comparison site to discover who supplies the cheapest tariff to suit their needs.

As Martin makes clear, cashback from a cashback site is not guaranteed until it's in your own bank account, and there are numerous posts of where people had thought they had correctly applied for it but failed to receive it ... perhaps as a result of doing it in 10 seconds instead of following the advice given to increase the chance of securing a cashback payment?
    Also, there is no guarantee that the cheapest supplier on the comparison site offers cashback via a cashback site.

But the discussion was essentially over the simplest way to apply.
    For the lowest cost, I would always choose the lowest cost supplier as proposed by the comparison site if it suits your needs.
    (Just be aware of any early exit fees and/or ties ins to get discounts included)
    As Martin indicates in his articles, cashback should be seem as an added bonus if received, not part of the main decision making process

... unless you are a cashback tart, in which case don't even bother with comparison sites, just trouser the biggest cashback going at the time - again being careful of any early exit fees
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Rosco1112
    Options
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give us some much needed advice. My boyfriend and I are just moving into our first house, It is a new build so we need to install gas and electricity meters. When going on the switching comparison sites it asks for your current expenditure or usage figures. We have no idea how much electricity or gas we use monthly. We both work full time so would not be at home during the day much.
    Would be very grateful for any input.

Thanks
  • Davedastardly
    Options
    In my experience, energy suppliers use a raft of devices to discourage customers from switching. Many use 'discounts' that aren't receivable until the anniversary of the account opening. Even then, by the time such 'discounts' are paid / credited, new discounts have been accrued in the subsequent year. Neither the government nor the energy regulator appear willing to put a stop to the questionable tactics used by energy suppliers. The whole framework seems unnecessarily complicated and benefits only the energy suppliers who can easily bamboozle unsuspecting customers. The fact that the aged and vulnerable are most likely to lose out is of little interest to those who could do something about this wholly unsatisfactory situation. I wonder how many elderly and infirm people die each year from lack of warmth because of this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure