Forum Home » Energy » Water Bills

Manual wash or Dishwasher? Here's a money saving tip to use less water manually. - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Manual wash or Dishwasher? Here's a money saving tip to use less water manually.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
34 replies 4.8K views

Replies

• t0rt0iset0rt0ise Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you are making tea or your pot noodle with water from the hot tap. Just no. I couldn't do that as it's not drinking water. Depends on your water system I suppose but for me, no.
  • RobisereRobisere Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing, OP, that you do not live in a Hard Water Area.

I wash and OH wipes, it takes very little time even after a big meal with lots of pots and pans. Our water is so hot that I have to leave it until I can put my hands in it*, and we have a gas condenser boiler which also heats the radiators. The whole process uses little electricity and gas, which means cheaper energy cost over time. And we have a good old natter whilst doing something together.

My grandson lives alone in his own flat, walks about a mile to and from work and had a dishwasher for two years. When it broke down, he was waiting ages for someone to fix it, then checked and compared his energy usage over the last few years, to discover that the 2 years of dishwasher use took more in actual KWhours. So he plans to sell the dishwasher when it's fixed, if the quoted repair is the same as it was. Meanwhile, he leaves breakfast pots until dinner is eaten, then washes the lot manually.

*Even though I have inherited my mother's ability to withstand fairly hot water on my hands.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • RelievedSheffRelievedSheff PPR Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    easy wrote: »
    Hey, it's your life ... But I'm afraid I'd be pretty sad to think that I couldn't find anything more rewarding to do than stand and wash dishes, given that there IS a dishwasher there !! But then I work full time, and mourn the fact that I don't have the time to read all the books I want, or take on interesting hobbies.
    I'm guessing you are retired .

No we both work full time and are out of the house for 11 hours a day!

It takes less than a couple of minutes to hand wash the few dishes that we create in a morning.

I would find it pretty sad if my life was that hectic that I didn't have a couple of minutes to wash a couple of pots!
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Robisere wrote: »
    I'm guessing, OP, that you do not live in a Hard Water Area.

I wash and OH wipes, it takes very little time even after a big meal with lots of pots and pans. Our water is so hot that I have to leave it until I can put my hands in it*, and we have a gas condenser boiler which also heats the radiators. The whole process uses little electricity and gas, which means cheaper energy cost over time. And we have a good old natter whilst doing something together.

My grandson lives alone in his own flat, walks about a mile to and from work and had a dishwasher for two years. When it broke down, he was waiting ages for someone to fix it, then checked and compared his energy usage over the last few years, to discover that the 2 years of dishwasher use took more in actual KWhours. So he plans to sell the dishwasher when it's fixed, if the quoted repair is the same as it was. Meanwhile, he leaves breakfast pots until dinner is eaten, then washes the lot manually.

*Even though I have inherited my mother's ability to withstand fairly hot water on my hands.

We had family over for a few days over Christmas so our dishwasher did get used a lot while they were here. There was a noticeable spike in energy consumption for the days they were with us which can only have been the dishwasher as that is the only thing we used that we don't normally use so often.
  • nick74nick74 Forumite
    581 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    We had family over for a few days over Christmas so our dishwasher did get used a lot while they were here. There was a noticeable spike in energy consumption for the days they were with us which can only have been the dishwasher as that is the only thing we used that we don't normally use so often.

Presumably though if you'd washed all of the extra pots by hand you would have still noticed a similar spike in energy usage due to all of the hot water it would have taken?
  • suki1964suki1964 PPR Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So none of then bathed or showered, used any gadgets, had lights on. in bedrooms?
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    nick74 wrote: »
    Presumably though if you'd washed all of the extra pots by hand you would have still noticed a similar spike in energy usage due to all of the hot water it would have taken?

Heating water via gas is a damn sight cheaper than heating it via electric!
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    suki1964 wrote: »
    So none of then bathed or showered, used any gadgets, had lights on. in bedrooms?

We were out of the house for most of each day so gadgets were literally just a couple of hours of phone charging extra and I doubt 1 extra LED bulb in the bedroom used at bedtime used the amount of extra electricity we have used over that few days!

They did use the bath but that would show up as a spike in gas consumption not electric!
  • suki1964suki1964 PPR Forumite
    14.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were out of the house for most of each day so gadgets were literally just a couple of hours of phone charging extra and I doubt 1 extra LED bulb in the bedroom used at bedtime used the amount of extra electricity we have used over that few days!

They did use the bath but that would show up as a spike in gas consumption not electric!

My point being that having a houseful of guests does bring extra costs and the dishwasher being run more is just one of those costs
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • couriervanmancouriervanman Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    OP......just seen you post:rotfl:......you need to get out more