Travel Money horror story advice request

Options
2»

Comments

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What an odd way to do things, I collect my hol money from the bank or travel shop.

I must live in a different world, why on earth would someone send that sort of value of money via the post and expect it to get there?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    What an odd way to do things, I collect my hol money from the bank or travel shop.

I must live in a different world, why on earth would someone send that sort of value of money via the post and expect it to get there?

the millions that is sent by RM SD alone every year, would say otherwise.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Lots of people order online for delivery with no issues as the money is sent special delivery to cover the amount sent. This issue is slightly different as RM are claiming both were signed for.

Saying that I do often order for collection in large amounts as I have had so many issues with RM deliveries myself.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spellerrob wrote: »
    I started out with the idea of helping my elderly mother save some money when buying her travel money by ordering it online, rather than getting charged more on the high street.

I'm sorry that this happened to you but on the other hand do you think it would have been safe for your elderly mum to go on holiday with 5 grand in her pocket? Or even with the 2.5 K?
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options

That’s an odd way to do things.

I must live in a different world as I never buy money I use ATMs abroad maximising the rate with the best cards/accounts ;)
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't understand this process of signing for a delivery.

The last four 'Signed for ' deliveries from Royal Mail to my address have been put through the letterbox and signed for by the Postman.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Off topic but why on earth would you let your elderly mother take that amount of cash anywhere? It really isn't safe to carry loads of cash. It was hardly likely to be covered by her travel insurance either, so if she'd have lost it or had it stolen, it would be gone.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »

The last four 'Signed for ' deliveries from Royal Mail to my address have been put through the letterbox and signed for by the Postman.

"Signed for" and "Special Delivery" are two different services with different standards.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TheShape wrote: »

benjus wrote: »
    "Signed for" and "Special Delivery" are two different services with different standards.

Indeed, but for the signed for and Tracked 48 with Signature services are expected to obtain a signature from the recipient. None of my recent deliveries have followed their standards. There is a lot of money being paid for services which Royal Mail are not providing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure