Age of your gas boiler and insurance policies..

Options
Howdy!
I have a glow worm flexicom Cx 30 boiler ( combi) ,which I inherited when I moved into my flat in 2017.
Some of you are aware of the issues I had/ have and have been very helpful in the norm etc
Having the boiler in the small bedroom is not a plus point when buying your flat . Especially when mr surveyor said not to buy it because of this. This brings me to my experiences thus far and about insurance..

First thing I did was to get a competent local gas engineer to check the boiler and see if everything is dangerous as mentioned , potentially deciding whether to pull out from purchase ..or proceed.
The engineer I chose was the son of the owner . I got good vibes in spite of being anxious. He just said, good little boiler . Buy the flat. Surveyor being over cautious.

A few months later in the beast from the east winter, boiler packs up.
I used same company. I got a different guy. One of those engineers who wouldn't comment one way or the other as to the stare of the boiler in the future . This was after him replacing the heat exchanger.

A few months later I tried another company as my boiler packed up again . I saw 2 brothers on different days . They were ok ,and better personalities than the previous guys.
They fitted in a new diverter valve .
I asked if they would do yearly cover on the boiler .
They recommended another co who they work for . Fair enough . Direct debit sorted .

Beginning of this year , problems with central heating . Forgotten about . I had enough after a few weeks making allowances for Xmas holidays etc. So I left nasty review on trustpilot . Owner of co sorted out everything including flushing of rads if I stay with them.
I did that and changed the review to a positive one .

The coverage on my policy is "home heating plus". I didn't realise it covers emergencies . My fault partially for not rtfm.
When I phoned a few weeks ago about pressure on hot water poor I was asked to adjust the pressure . Thing is a) boiler pressure fine 2.4
B) the last engineer tightened the valves too tight to adjust

Today I have no hot water. I phoned to check if I'm covered for emergency visit. I am , but ..boiler must not be over 15 years old .
I explained that I don't know the age etc but they should know or they wouldn't have accepted my policy in the first place.
The engineer is coming this evening between 7-10 pm .

In the meantime , I'm googling trying to find date of boiler . Home heating guide says 2006 ..so I am covered for now.
However, looking at my policy it covers " the central heating system inc boiler / pipe work/ radiators , thermostatic valves and thermostat .

I am hoping I don't have a bill for something not on that list .

So, in summary I should have bought a new boiler instead .
It looks like I may be best doing so next year and have done with it
Then I would only need a yearly maintenance ..or not bother until something goes wrong ?
The boiler game is one p I t a ..

Comments

• southcoastrgi
    Options
    What is the serial number you can pm it to me if you don't want to post on here
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Instead of buying boiler cover just pay some money into a separate account every month and it will soon add up to enough to cover any repairs to the boiler or eventually a boiler replacement.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks for the tips .
    The model no looks like it's the one on the side of one of the Stickers
    2000463986-04 . Looking at that , maybe those last two digits suggest that the boiler is made in 2004 and is 15 years old.

The emergency engineer more or less condemned the boiler last night
    He said that these boilers have more or less paid half his mortgage
    I maybe foolishly mentioned that I have had a replacement diverter valve and heat exchanger replaced in the short time I've been here.
    Initially he thought it may be the heat exchanger but now thinks it may be the thermistor or circuit board at a push . He never had either should be back either this eve or tomorrow .
    The boiler pressure was 2.5 and he reduced it to 1 point something
    Looking at the boiler now it's 2.4 so I'm not sure if he actually reduced it at all . He showed me how wet the boiler was inside and oil dripping down the back.
    Sounds like a new Worcester boiler is the way to go unfortunately
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    So what's it doing or not doing when you ask it for hot water ?

• another_casualty
    Options
    Ok . Well not okay actually , I need a new boiler .
    The heat exchanger which was only installed in jan this year was totally blocked . The boiler was having trouble firing up and not much hot water was coming out of the taps . Water was totally cold .
    The new thermistor didn't do anything once replaced.
    Engineer spent 2 hours + .
    The whole system is filthy . He put fluid in to the system . The water pressure has increased now , but he doesn't think it will ever get hot
    It may do , but if it does it won't be for very long .

My policy doesn't include chemical flushes or total system clear outs
    Apparently if I want that done , it will be a good few hundred pounds and considering how much I've paid so far it would seem crazy to pay for that . With a new boiler , I would have a long guarantee and the filthy system totally cleaned out . Just a yearly service would be enough and I wouldn't need to pay for boiler cover.

That's what I've been told anyway ..
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A new boiler would require the system to be flushed, otherwise you'd end up with the same problem. So it's something you'll be paying on top regardless.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks grenage
    The man told me that , and when I get the quote it should be included in the price ,plus fitting costs etc.

The company who maintain my boiler gave me a quote for a powerflush ..£400 plus magnetic filter repair would be another £400 approx so that confirms that I need a new boiler .
    I was quoted £250 if I give them my old boiler .
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 October 2019 at 5:16PM
    Options
    The boiler installation price will be inflated to cover the extra work. It's worth shopping around and getting a few prices. £400 is probably about right for a full and proper clean, depending on system size.

You can buy the machine for £500, but you'll probably never need it again.

A magnetic filter replacement is about less than £100 and quick to fit. I don't know who you're using, but I would recommend asking friends if any of them know a decent independent.

Boilers seem to be a bit like double-glazing. One person will pay £4k, whilst another less £2k.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks for that grenage .
    It seems that it'll be north of £2,500 . 6 radiators in a 2 bedroom flat
    ( well , 1 and a half bedrooms due to boiler installed under window of smaller bedroom )
    Yes, I am very wary of buying a new boiler , and will check online etc
    I'm awaiting the first quote via email and take it from there .
    It seems from what I've heard not just from the man today , is that Worcester boilers seem to be the best . Others may say Bosch or valiant . I'll take everything into account for this big decision .
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Worcester really aren't the best by a long way don't believe the hype, if you are looking for a lot of bang for your buck you really can't beat something like this, if your installer has recommended WB then he will prob slag this off but I have no vested interest in your boiler so it doesn't matter to me apart from giving you some advice

https://ravenheat.co.uk/products/#he-range

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport