Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Royal mail item lost my item sent - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Royal mail item lost my item sent

46 replies 3.4K views
1235»

Replies

• edited 8 November 2019 at 2:23PM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 November 2019 at 2:23PM
    With apologies to hubb for a mini hijack, I am now in exactly the same situation. My item is sub £6 so my dilemma is refund out of my own pocket or potentially get a negative.mine is a large letter and easily letter box size.

I use a barcoded business mail for my items and even my large letters have full delivery confirmation. The item shows as delivered at the right time (according to the buyer) for the usual post and was delivered from the correct delivery office, the address was completely correct. Buyer is an established buyer, no hints at any issues yet they are adamant they did not receive it.

RM won't do anything (this was uninsured anyway due to the service i use) and a quick email to,them confirmed that as far as they are concerned the item was delivered.

Buyer wants me to sort this out so they are not out of pocket, they haven't opened a case as they know they can't win . I'm currently having a think where to go from here.

EDIT: I've just had a chat with ebay and they are insistent that I should not refund as they appeared to suggest it makes nonsense of the seller protection. They said I should assist the buyer if they wish to pursue the matter with Royal Mail , they also said (but I'm not holding my breath) that if the buyer leaves me a negative I can have it removed as they have not opened a case.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    soolin wrote: »

Buyer wants me to sort this out so they are not out of pocket, they haven't opened a case as they know they can't win . I'm currently having a think where to go from here.

They should open a case regardless, eBay will close in your favour which protects you from bad feedback and the buyer can appeal to eBay which may see a goodwill refund if the buyer doesn't have a history.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They should open a case regardless, eBay will close in your favour which protects you from bad feedback and the buyer can appeal to eBay which may see a goodwill refund if the buyer doesn't have a history.

They won't open a case as they said they know they can't win it- and ebay have said there is no way I can force them to open a case if they refuse.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=soolin;76474618]They won't open a case as they said they know they can't win it- and ebay have said there is no way I can force them to open a case if they refuse.[/QUOTE]

Seems funny how they know that then. The average buyer shouldn't have a clue until it happens.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    66.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems funny how they know that then. The average buyer shouldn't have a clue until it happens.

This looks like a very established buyer - but who knows, my OH reckons I am a soft touch but this time I'm not just refunding, I'm holding my nerve.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soolin sounds more like someone else in the house took the parcel in and has forgotten to tell the buyer. This has happened to me as a buyer as well and I was very embarrassed!
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *