Forum Home» Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales

Royal mail item lost my item sent - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Royal mail item lost my item sent

46 replies 3.4K views

Replies

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_headthe_lunatic_is_in_my_head Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    soolin wrote: »
    Then as usual ebay have different policies in different places. My quote was also from the buyer guarantee and states the address is needed as per the order details on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee?id=4210

It's the same policy.

eBay require as you quoted and what I quoted is their criteria for measuring it.

Two bits quoted together might be a bit clearer:

If asked to step in and help, we review the information provided by the buyer and seller for evidence of successful on-time delivery to the buyer's address (as displayed on the 'Order details' page), or proof of collection by the buyer.

Information required to prove a successful on-time delivery is all of the following:

Tracking number uploaded to the site by the seller before the estimated delivery date;
    A delivery status of "delivered" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);
    The date of delivery;
    The recipient's address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the one found on the 'Order details' page; and
    Signature confirmation, if an item has a total cost of £750 or more
  • hubbhubb Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well after the investigation with the Royal Mail (which took forever, dealing with 3 people) they can confirm it was delivered to the correct address so I am in the clear. Buyer still states she never received the item so its between her and the royal mail to make a claim surely ?
  • hubbhubb Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone please ?
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hubb wrote: »
    Anyone please ?

As above your choice is to refund them or to upload the tracking to the case and see what the buyer and eBay do.

The other option is do nothing and the buyer will eventually likely ask eBay to step in which is the same as option 2 above really, although if you don't add the tracking you'll lose for certain.

The buyer may also give up and go away.
  • hubbhubb Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As above your choice is to refund them or to upload the tracking to the case and see what the buyer and eBay do.

The other option is do nothing and the buyer will eventually likely ask eBay to step in which is the same as option 2 above really, although if you don't add the tracking you'll lose for certain.

The buyer may also give up and go away.

The buyer closed the case a couple of weeks ago and left me good feedback despite bringing it up again that the parcel never turned up. Very strange one.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The buyer closed the case a couple of weeks ago and left me good feedback despite bringing it up again that the parcel never turned up. Very strange one.

Happy days, block and ignore then.
  • hubbhubb Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy days, block and ignore then.

Is that ethical ?
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    whats ethics got to do with it? i wouldnt want that person buying from me again, they probably lied about not receiving a parcel
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • edited 7 November 2019 at 8:54PM
    hubbhubb Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 November 2019 at 8:54PM
    lindens wrote: »
    whats ethics got to do with it? i wouldnt want that person buying from me again, they probably lied about not receiving a parcel

But they have been a member since 2002 with a very high feedback rating. why would they want to jeopardize that by lying about a cheap second hand item ?
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that ethical ?

Frank question but what do you hope to achieve for an answer?

Is the tracking always correct? Sadly not.

Does Royal Mail carrying out an "investigation" and saying it was delivered guarantee the buyer had it the parcel? Again sadly not.

You can either ignore or refund. Whether Royal Mail would pay out on a claim in this situation I don't think anyone can say for sure.

How long they've been a member and their feedback doesn't really mean much.

I can only offer musings on the subject as no one knows for sure but some people are down right dishonest, some chance their arm once in a while and don't think it's dishonest, some receive something that has a problem and think it's easier to claim non-receipt and may even feel it isn't dishonest because they were wronged first.

Some parcels are left in bushes, bins or on door steps and disappear, some go to neighbours who don't bother to pass them on to the right person, some are delivered and then put in the cupboard by a partner who forgets all about it.

The possibilities are endless really and you can never really know what happened.

Again being frank if you can't sleep at night just refund the £7 or £10 the buyer paid :)