Wi-Fi Calling with Android smartphone.

Options

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even without WiFi Calling enabled on phone or by network, it's possible and reasonably easy to use accounts from VoIP providers via either WiFi or mobile data.

Quite possibly cheaper per minute as well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Has anyone had any experience of wifi calling on Three, using OnePlus handsets? Specifically, the 5 and 3T.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    slipd wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience of wifi calling on Three, using OnePlus handsets? Specifically, the 5 and 3T.

WifiCalling worked on the 5T for me (but 4G Calling didn't) and didn't work on the 3T (but 4G Calling does).
    ====
  • cornerstone13
    Options
    I have a Galaxy A40 which has Wifi calling and I'm on 3.

When I first got the phone (June 2019), Wifi calling worked perfectly but suddenly now it doesn't (last call made on Wifi 14.10.19).

Nothing has changed, no updates, I'm still on 3. I've searched everywhere for a solution without success.

Any ideas please
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cant you just install whats app?
  • cornerstone13
    Options
    I have Whatsapp which is fine for friends and family.

But I have zero reception here in my bunker, which makes calling companies, banks, insurance companies only possible from my garden :-( a bit cold at this time of year

And it's more why it worked fine for months and then suddenly nothing, nada.
  • rsvtoddy
    rsvtoddy Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    @cornerstone13 - The wi-fi calling not working is an ongoing result following the network outage of last week. Same on ID mobile which uses the 3 network.
  • Redvee
    Redvee Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TL,DR

Turn off the data connection on your handset and use Whatsapp to call people, assuming the other person also has Whatsapp installed on their handset. Obviously you do need to be connected to a wifi source for this to happen.
  • rhialwencomp
    Options
    I have a Galaxy A40 which has Wifi calling and I'm on 3.

When I first got the phone (June 2019), Wifi calling worked perfectly but suddenly now it doesn't (last call made on Wifi 14.10.19).

Nothing has changed, no updates, I'm still on 3. I've searched everywhere for a solution without success.

Any ideas please

Yeah, it's the outage from last week. 3 say they're still looking into it.

None of the stuff they suggest worked for me, but you can search them up on twitter if you want to waste 5 minutes. The main one was turn on and off airplane mode.

Whatsapp doesn't seem to be much good for what I need either. Banks and other text verification.
  • beatsys
    Options
    Yes there are ongoing problems with wifi calling on both Three and ID Mobile. We still have no wifi calling in ID at all after nearly a week, which isn't great if you rely on it in a poor signal area such as ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure