What's happened to Samsung laptop

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    john240870 wrote: »
    yes SSD is in the Caddy
    The caddy should have a lead with USB connector. Plug it into laptop! Tell us what happens...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • grumpycrab wrote: »
    The caddy should have a lead with USB connector. Plug it into laptop! Tell us what happens...
    Its come up drive E and drive F and they both go when unplugged
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Sounds promising... Plug it back in and have a look (you know how to use File Explorer?) under

E:\Users\john (and/or possibly F:\Users\john) and see if you can find your documents, pics etc (assuming john is/was your username).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite

This indicated that the SSD is likely still fine.

Once you have finished copy off the files that you wish to keep, you should create installation media and clean install an operating system to the SSD.
    The HDD might be a bit slow.
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    This indicated that the SSD is likely still fine.

Once you have finished copy off the files that you wish to keep, you should create installation media and clean install an operating system to the SSD.
    The HDD might be a bit slow.
    Yes found all the files think i'll leave them on the SSD ad just use it as a removalable hard drive. As I don't understand this bit (create installation media and clean install an operating system to the SSD.) Thanks for all your help so far.:beer:
  • EveryWhere
    Yes found all the files think i'll leave them on the SSD ad just use it as a removalable hard drive. As I don't understand this bit (create installation media and clean install an operating system to the SSD.) Thanks for all your help so far.:beer:

How did Windows get on to the SSD in the first place?
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2019 at 11:51AM

I would copy the passwords, files and favourites etc you want to the hard disk from the ssd as the hard disk will probably become a backup.

since you know what disk the ssd is on the usb caddy I would go to a cmd prompt and type
    chkdsk e: /f /r
    chkdsk f: /f /r

Once finish, switch PC off, remove the battery, remove the hard disk and put the ssd back, because that ssd is faster, reliable and more drop proof. Also as the previous poster said, it looks more as it is corrupt than broke, so lets try and get it working. Then get the laptop to work with the ssd.
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    How did Windows get on to the SSD in the first place?
    Hi A computer shop did it all for me.
  • that wrote: »
    I would copy the passwords, files and favourites etc you want to the hard disk from the ssd as the hard disk will probably become a backup.

since you know what disk the ssd is on the usb caddy I would go to a cmd prompt and type
    chkdsk e: /f /r
    chkdsk f: /f /r

Once finish, switch PC off, remove the battery, remove the hard disk and put the ssd back, because that ssd is faster, reliable and more drop proof. Also as the previous poster said, it looks more as it is corrupt than broke, so lets try and get it working. Then get the laptop to work with the ssd.
    Your all being very helpful but Im a complete idiot here and I really not sure what you are meaning here. But Iam willing to learn. As taking to the shop is very expensive. £120 to have the SSD put in.
  • EveryWhere
    Your all being very helpful but Im a complete idiot here and I really not sure what you are meaning here. But Iam willing to learn. As taking to the shop is very expensive. £120 to have the SSD put in.

£40 for the SSD. £80 for labour. I guess it all helps the money to go around.....

Post #54. Have you the prerequisite 8GB or more USB 'thumb' drive?

Is Secure Boot enabled or not? Is it in UEFI Mode currently or not?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure