»

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we split our holiday refund? - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we split our holiday refund?

37 replies 16.9K views
124»

Replies

• No. If they are only offering a paltry 20% refund then you say no to the company and ask for a full refund, or a free 2nd stay in an upgraded room. If you are prepared to accept 20% off then really it is not worth the complaint in the first time.

To answer your actual question. I think sharing that refund is probably best idea, unless you have explicitly said no do not complain on my behalf or something similar. In which case you only have yourself to blame.
  • "The company responded to us both, as I booked the holiday, and refunded 20% of the cost to my credit card"

As the company responded to you both,did they ask if you were complaining too?
    You dealt with the effort of getting the 20% successfully refunded onto your own card, so you each contributed to the complaint.

A decent friendship is not something to just walk away from.
    I'd use a "I've decided to split the compensation with you as I value our friendship" type of response.
    Avoid a wishy-washy approach or passively asking,
    simply tell/state your intentions.
  • duchyduchy Forumite
    19.5K posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear another made up scenario written by someone at MSE Towers with little life experience .
    As the lead passenger the holiday company can only reply to the fictional OP and only refund to them. Just as if the "friend" hadn't paid liability for the holiday cost would fall to the lead passenger. The contract is between the tour operator and the lead passenger only, whoever else is on the booking is irrelevant.
    So legally the refund is the lead passengers .
    Morally if 20% of the whole holiday cost was refunded then friend is entitled to half , the OP morally can keep their half, donate to charity or return it to the holiday company if they feel it was an unjustified complaint.
    I do struggle at the definition of friend in most of these though !
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • JayDJayD Forumite
    561 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Are you sure this is a 'friend'?? I can't imagine anyone who'd shared a holiday with you being peevish about sharing the refund unless, when they said they would complain, you argued against it or expressed total disinterest in that course of action.

Well, you have all of the refund at the moment, so you can decide whether to share it or return all of it to this 'friend' but either way, I should imagine it isn't much of a friendship any more!
  • Depending on the amount, split it and treat them to something, drink/meal, etc. You were, after all, nonchalant about it and it was their initiative that got you both a refund. My closest experience of this was something similar, but the other person could not be bothered to complain and probably thought nothing would come of it. We had to pay separately and guess what... I got the refund! They were minutely jealous, but still did not bother to complain, (complaint had to be made individually btw). Also learn from this and next time your refund maybe bigger, i.e. give your two pence worth on the list of complaints!
  • duchy wrote: »
    Oh dear another made up scenario written by someone at MSE Towers with little life experience .
    As the lead passenger the holiday company can only reply to the fictional OP and only refund to them. Just as if the "friend" hadn't paid liability for the holiday cost would fall to the lead passenger. The contract is between the tour operator and the lead passenger only, whoever else is on the booking is irrelevant.
    So legally the refund is the lead passengers .
    Morally if 20% of the whole holiday cost was refunded then friend is entitled to half , the OP morally can keep their half, donate to charity or return it to the holiday company if they feel it was an unjustified complaint.
    I do struggle at the definition of friend in most of these though !

Sorry, but would there not be some sort of verbal contract between these fictional friends when they decided/agreed and booked the holiday? If the lead passenger booked/paid and didn't get reimbursed by the friend then it would be a straight forward money claim :undecided
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    These "dilemmas" get more and more stupid each week.

And more and more unbelievable.