»

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we split our holiday refund? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we split our holiday refund?

37 replies 16.9K views

Replies

• HusbandofstinkyHusbandofstinky Forumite
    5 posts
    Second Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If it were me, I would ping the dilemma back to your friend and let him decide.

You obviously have your own thoughts on this matter and whatever he decides will either positively or negatively reflect on your relationship (however deep that is).

The dilemma might be worth its weight in gold either way on that front imo.

If I was that 'friend' I would instantly offer half of it back or alternatively suggest putting it towards another joint event (break, holiday, meal etc). That would all depend on knowing the OP if they could do with the money or not. If they did I would offer the full amount back again without question. :)
  • RS2OOORS2OOO Forumite
    84 posts
    I assume the refund is 20% of the total paid for both of you, i.e your friend believes he should be entitled to the full value of the refund thus giving him a 40% refund on the total he paid.

I do not know any friend that wouldn't naturally suggest that be split between you both, thus 20% refund each.

Except if I'd previously told my friend I was happy with the price paid, service received and that I had nothing to complain about and in my opinion a refund wasn't warranted. In that case I'd offer the friend the full value of the refund, only accepting a portion if the friend insisted.

If you were both unhappy with the service and you supported your friend in making the complaint, and you didn't complain yourself simply because your friend was already doing so, then morally the money should be split. If this is the case but your friend doesn't want to split it, give him the full refund and get a new friend.
  • KiamaKiama Forumite
    19 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Give him half the refund, then tell him that the rest was swallowed up in admin fees for your time that you put in to book and pay for the holiday upfront! Get a new friend!
  • crmismcrmism Forumite
    193 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    It isn't clear whether you had your own rooms or shared one but, if it was the former and your own room was as you might expect and therefore gave no cause for complaint, then your friend should have the full refund.

If the latter, then you need to split the money equally between you on the basis that you made the bookings, and your friend made the claim. I'd say that's evens.
  • ziggycjziggycj Forumite
    279 posts
    Ask the company. Was the refund for him or for both of you? If it was for him only, give him the 20% then make your own complaint. I'm guessing the refund was probably 10% per person. If the refund was for both of you then he has blocked your ability to complain yourself so needs to split it.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    Would you want someone as a friend who explicitly complained on his own behalf about something both people experienced?
    Personally, I wouldn't just 'walk away' from that 'so called friend'.
    I'd run for the hills.
    Because to complain explicitly from him obviously means money means more to him than a friendship.
    And...the OP has the 20%. :dance:
    Love it! :T

It depends why the friend complained on his own behalf. If the two of them discussed it and the other person did not want to complain, then it would be wrong to implicate him/her in the complaint. If that is the case, then the person who made the complaint is entitled to the compensation. The other person cannot have it both ways. If the complainent just decided to go it alone without giving their friend the chance to join in, then it is a differnt story.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farnbo wrote: »
    It depends why the friend complained on his own behalf. If the two of them discussed it and the other person did not want to complain, then it would be wrong to implicate him/her in the complaint. If that is the case, then the person who made the complaint is entitled to the compensation. The other person cannot have it both ways. If the complainent just decided to go it alone without giving their friend the chance to join in, then it is a differnt story.
    And we'll never know the answers to those questions...because that's how MSE dilemmas work.

If you take my comment in context, you'll see it was in direct response to another poster who said they
    Ally3558 wrote: »
    wouldn't want someone i classed as a friend to do that to me and I would just walk away from that so called friend as obviously money means more than a friendship.
    Nobody knows any more than the couple of sentences originally posted.
  • Pollycat wrote: »
    And we'll never know the answers to those questions...because that's how MSE dilemmas work.

If you take my comment in context, you'll see it was in direct response to another poster who said they

Nobody knows any more than the couple of sentences originally posted.

I wasn't picking an argument - I was just adding to the discussion.
    Thanks for explaining how these things work though!
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    These "dilemmas" get more and more stupid each week.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    28.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farnbo wrote: »
    I wasn't picking an argument - I was just adding to the discussion.
    Thanks for explaining how these things work though!
    I think the post below explains how MSE MMD work better than I could...
    Nick_C wrote: »
    These "dilemmas" get more and more stupid each week.