PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Parking space issue

Options

Comments

• need_an_answer
    Options
    devi123 wrote: »
    A fair point - but as with pepipoo there are often people with legal experience on these forums. Cheers for the help anyway - even if we disagree I do appreciate it.

you could always try on the motoring forum...whilst we deal with housing mainly here they may have a different view seen as the query is parking related.
    Sometimes things have a tendency to overlap and whilst people here can give you the view of a tenancy agreement it could be that you need specific parking advice
    They are the wizards at getting people off parking fines they may be able to advise..otherwise it probably falls between the 2 boards and you might be better getting suitable legal advice due to the amounts involved which I assume will only escalate if the money remains unpaid
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • devi123
    Options
    I was not paying them for the motorbike space. I was paying a tenant at the property for part of their space.
  • devi123
    Options
    I did, mentioned in my earlier post.

"please let me know if there are any charges"

No response received.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Sachs wrote: »
    Can you imagine saying that to a judge? "I assumed he knew it would be £50 a day your honour"

English contract law does not work like that. Only the state and the railways can fine people.

this is one of those threads where the story is dripping through as it goes on...even when I read the first post I thought the OP was possibly correct...but its only 2 pages in and the story is slowly being revealed.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What would you advise as next steps?

One approach is to do nothing at this stage, and see if they take things further - i.e. they make a court claim.

Another approach is to write to them saying something like:
    "I don't believe that I have entered into a contract to pay for parking. If you believe that I have entered into a contract, please explain why you believe this, and provide evidence that a contract exists.."

But bear in mind that, for example, if you were told that parking in the car park costs £x per month, and then you parked in the car park - that can mean you're accepting the contract terms by your conduct (i.e. your behaviour).

Like in a restaurant, if a waiter says "fish and chips costs £10" or a menu says "fish and chips cost £10" - and you then order fish and chips - you're accepting the contract terms by your conduct and agreeing to pay £10.
  • devi123
    Options
    Parked car in space.

Asked about charges.

Received no answer.

2 years later hit with large bill.

It's not tricky and I'd rather not have judgement passed on me, cheers.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Parked car in space.

Asked about charges.

Received no answer.

2 years later hit with large bill.

It's not tricky and I'd rather not have judgement passed on me, cheers.

but you did also say you requested a space so surely you did that before you parked your car there.

I know hindsight is great but if you received no answer to your query over charges a polite reminder might have been in order...
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• Sachs
    Sachs Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not passing judgement but you're evading answering questions about the key moment a contract could have been entered in to (imo), which was when you requested a fob.
  • devi123
    Options
    Sorry - it wasn't you I was referring to re judgement.

Any request to park would have been done face to face. There's no email sent.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I would also regard in the absence of any discussion at the time, or even anytime between then and you moving out, and the lack of any contract (written) that your belief the car parking was free/ incuded in your rent is sensible.

Your LL is taking the proverbial,I would tell them you're not paying.

Can't believe some of the responses to the contrary on this thread, posters on the wind up i think! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure