PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Parking space issue

Options

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where do the charges come from?

If there is some kind of "fine" involved and the landlord is trying to pass the cost on to you, then you might be in trouble.

Parking enforcement is a technical area, and will depend on the type of charges and the signage in place and whether you formed a contract by parking there.

If the tenant who "owns" the space is complaining to your landlord and wants you to pay the cost of that space, then tell them to get lost.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    You clearly took the services of the secure car park and they have CCTV evidence to prove that....wy do you need a signed agreement to park there?
    Over a period of your tenancy you took advantage of a service they supplied...why does that service need to be included in your rental payment?

You choose to take up the offer of a space when you repeatedly parked there

Is the car park run by a separate parking company?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • devi123
    Options
    It's not a fine, it's their view that we rented a space from them.

"Also, whilst doing this it has come to our attention that parking from XXXX has not been paid up until now @ £XX per month, you have only been paying the apartment rent of £XXXX. Please see below your ledger, this would mean an amount of £XXXX is outstanding on Parking for the car space you took on in XXXX"

And then:

"I’ve also attached the parking template that is drawn up and placed on file when parking is requested and a fob deposit is paid. There was never a contract for when you had a shared bay with your bike as you directly dealt with the tenants for payment. A parking agreement was set up only when you requested the space for the car."

There was no request made in writing, the parking template referenced is just a word document and not signed, I emailed requesting costs and was never replied to.

There is no signage in the parking bay around charges.
  • devi123
    Options
    Without knowing the costs?

When you park in a car park you enter into a contract with the company that owns or manages the landlord - and that is made very clear from the signage. There are no signs as you enter or leave this property. You'd have a hard job trying to give someone a parking ticket on land where there was no signage. You could, of course, have the car removed but that was not done here, not were any bills or letters sent.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 September 2019 at 3:49PM
    Options
    So you requested a space for the car and were given a key fob?

That seems quite reasonable in accepting the fob you were accepting a space and would be aware of any associated costs.

Its perfectly reasonable to expect someone to have researched costs and have some sort of understanding to pay those costs when you request the space

It would be your responsibility to understand the costs of parking there before requesting the space IMO
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• devi123
    Options
    How would one research prices? It's a private enclosed area.

I accepted the fob for the motorbike, not the car.

I'm trying to understand the legality of where I stand.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    did you "request a space for the car"?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• devi123
    Options
    I did - but no further information was given around charges. Why would I assume it didn't come with the flat?
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    so you entered into an agreement to use the space.That could be seen as a contract.

If you were to have parked in the space without agreement and your car had for example been towed away for illegally parking there and subsequently crushed or sold,I expect you would be beating a different drum now and telling them you had an agreement to park there.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• devi123
    Options
    I respectfully disagree. I entered into no such agreement and no document supports that. The same could be argued, as I mentioned, for entering a lift in the building - or using the bicycle park (which I did, which I eeded a fob for and which was not charged to me). If what you are saying is true, then they could bill me for that space too at whatever charge they wanted to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport