AA Complaint Advice

Options

Comments

• facade
    facade Posts: 7,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In The Olden Days, when the AA called anything that stopped the car going* a breakdown, they drove my late father home to collect the spare key, as he had somehow managed to break the key at a carpark about 10 miles away.

I suppose it is different from losing the key though, like the tale that they just shrug if you have a puncture with no spare wheel or can of gloop, but they will help if you have a punctured spare or an empty can of gloop.

*crack your sump on a brick in the road and it is an "accident" not a "breakdown" and they expect you to put in an insurance claim to pay them.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think I've probably said this on here before.
    Sometime in the late 60s dad said he'd been to lunch with someone. They came out to this guy's car and he'd lost the keys. AA / RAC came out. the guy read the number off the ignition key barrel using a little telescope, and then went off and obtained a key.
    In those days there would be a rack of the keys that most cars used in any garage or car accessory place.

TBH, most cars back then could be opened by a bright 6 year old with a lollipop stick anyway!
  • INAMESS
    INAMESS Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’ve taken a while to reply cos I don’t come on here very often and have been busy, sorry to disappoint you. Yes discussion and advice is ok but the manner if it isn’t. Most adults can have a discussion without resorting to patronising arrogance but clearly this is an issue for some of you keyboard warriors on here, maybe you were picked on at school and coming on here saying what you do gives you some sort of ego boost. Who knows. Oh by the way the incident in question happened on a Tuesday lunchtime.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 September 2019 at 7:14PM
    Options
    Back in the late 70's early eighties my dad use to keep a piece of packing tape in his AA Van for keys locked in cars, slide it round the door, hook over the lock button and pull up.

Alternatively find a floor bung, piece of wire and open the door from underneath.

Of course then once in the car even if the keys were not present undo the steering lock and remove the ignition switch , job done.

He was so proud that he had made his car so it could not be stolen, till me and my brother jumped out and locked it, engine still running (-:
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Options
    INAMESS wrote: »
    I’ve taken a while to reply cos I don’t come on here very often and have been busy, sorry to disappoint you. Yes discussion and advice is ok but the manner if it isn’t. Most adults can have a discussion without resorting to patronising arrogance but clearly this is an issue for some of you keyboard warriors on here, maybe you were picked on at school and coming on here saying what you do gives you some sort of ego boost. Who knows. Oh by the way the incident in question happened on a Tuesday lunchtime.
    You don't do very well at hearing the truth do you?
  • INAMESS
    INAMESS Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The truth is fine, the manner it is given is what i'm calling into question, very childish. Maybe that's the internet for you and anonymity of people like you using it. People I've spoken to in person about this have been a lot more grown up with their responses.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The truth is fine, the manner it is given is what i'm calling into question, very childish. Maybe that's the internet for you and anonymity of people like you using it. People I've spoken to in person about this have been a lot more grown up with their responses.

My post here
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6052701#17

It's nothing to do with being "keyboard warriors" or hiding behind the internet.
    If it was me who had lost keys, and I'd spoken to some of my proper friends, rather than acquaintances, about this in person they'd have said.
    "Tough luck mate. but It's your own fault. Make sure you have the right cover or a spare key."
    That's because they are actually real friends, and we're all adults and don't get offended by the truth.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It’s quite easy to come on to an advice/help forum and take the moral high ground, like you’re some sort of smart !!!!. A simple reply such as “I’m sorry but there’s nothing you can do” or “you won’t win an appeal for this reason....” is a reasonable and helpful, even FRIENDLY response. Some of you should try that instead of comments like “stop blaming others”, “take responsibility for your own actions” etc. I’m not blaming anyone else for me losing a key, it wasn’t planned and people don’t always foresee all possible eventualities when taking out cover but at the same time companies will usually raise your level of cover there and then if in trouble, at a cost obviously. I simply felt they could have been more helpful, ok?!

This is an open forum. Anyone can participate and some individuals are more blunt in their responses than others.

In your case most of the responses are factually correct. You insured your car against breakdown. The cover did not cover lost keys. Now you are venting because the breakdown company did not provide a solution for a situation for which you did not have cover with them and then rejected your subsequent complaint. Those that are critical of your stance, whether they sugar-coat the response or not, are correct. Nobody is standing on any moral high ground. They are just explaining the facts of your situation.

If you are ever placed in similar circumstances I suggest you locate the nearest dealer for your make of car and solicit their assistance. This is much more likely to give you a timely solution.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    Options
    Is it though? Childish? Really?
    Just remind your self that it was you that's gone around calling people names. Pretty childish, right? Did you call those people in person names if they gave you an answer you didn't like? Maybe have a look at your self and think about why you get into the situation where you feel the need to complain about something to an organisation which isn't responsible. I'm getting a picture in my minds eye of a "Karen". Have a Google, there's a hair cut and everything. "Can I speak with your manager?":rotfl:
  • debtdebt
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    I think I've probably said this on here before.
    Sometime in the late 60s dad said he'd been to lunch with someone. They came out to this guy's car and he'd lost the keys. AA / RAC came out. the guy read the number off the ignition key barrel using a little telescope, and then went off and obtained a key.
    In those days there would be a rack of the keys that most cars used in any garage or car accessory place.

TBH, most cars back then could be opened by a bright 6 year old with a lollipop stick anyway!

Telescope?!?! Was the car on the moon?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport