AA Complaint Advice

Options

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a parent with a child as you point out, you should have made sure you had the right level of cover in place for your needs.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    INAMESS wrote: »
    As a so called emergency service I would have expected more help than just “we can get you a key tomorrow” when I was stranded in London with a child, even if it had meant me having to pay extra.
    Except they did...
    so I rang them and all they did was offer to send a locksmith but it wouldn't be until the following day.
    ...you just didn't like the timescale.

What time, what day did this happen?
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Suffice to say, that as they specifically exclude cover for keys, there's little more to be said.
    In future, make sure that you have a spare key available or have specific key cover in some way.

And always, always read the small print and the terms and conditions on everything.
    No matter how boring it might be.
    That really is a good money (and hassle) saving tip.
  • INAMESS
    INAMESS Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It’s quite easy to come on to an advice/help forum and take the moral high ground, like you’re some sort of smart !!!!. A simple reply such as “I’m sorry but there’s nothing you can do” or “you won’t win an appeal for this reason....” is a reasonable and helpful, even FRIENDLY response. Some of you should try that instead of comments like “stop blaming others”, “take responsibility for your own actions” etc. I’m not blaming anyone else for me losing a key, it wasn’t planned and people don’t always foresee all possible eventualities when taking out cover but at the same time companies will usually raise your level of cover there and then if in trouble, at a cost obviously. I simply felt they could have been more helpful, ok?!
  • AdrianC
    Options
    I simply felt they could have been more helpful, ok?!
    They called a locksmith. What more do you want?

The locksmith wasn't immediately available - what time of what day was it? 8pm on a Sunday? Or 10am on a weekday?
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a discussion forum.
    People are going to discuss, as well as give advice.
    Don't like the advice, don't take it.
    But expect discussion, and people pointing out what could have been done better on your part.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It’s quite easy to come on to an advice/help forum and take the moral high ground, like you’re some sort of smart !!!!. A simple reply such as “I’m sorry but there’s nothing you can do” or “you won’t win an appeal for this reason....” is a reasonable and helpful, even FRIENDLY response. Some of you should try that instead of comments like “stop blaming others”, “take responsibility for your own actions” etc. I’m not blaming anyone else for me losing a key, it wasn’t planned and people don’t always foresee all possible eventualities when taking out cover but at the same time companies will usually raise your level of cover there and then if in trouble, at a cost obviously. I simply felt they could have been more helpful, ok?!
    I'm sorry there's nothing you could do......cos it's your fault and your problem. Better?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    AA have Key Assist

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/key-assist

but it's not a subscription service and I suspect a local mobile keycutting service would be cheaper.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The locksmith wasn't immediately available - what time of what day was it? 8pm on a Sunday? Or 10am on a weekday?
    I suspect the silence on this one is telling.
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Car insurance have it as an optional extra on policies.

I've lost a car key before, got a mobile locksmith out who broke into my car, made a key and off he went. I ended up finding the key at home a few months later as it had dropped out my pocket.

I wouldn't even think of asking my recovery company out.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure