Thomas cook prepaid MasterCard

Options

Comments

• Grandmama
    Options
    309 euros! I have used it in the past for buying things in shops to save carrying cash around in spain. Been very useful actually. I will just hope to use it then in future get another type of card. Thanks for everybody's input.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps you can use it to top up another card, such as Revolut.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There have been a few TC branded cards over the years. Is your one one of these -
    https://thomascook.cashpassport.com/

I would check who issued the card and contact them but I think you will be fine.
  • Grandmama
    Options
    Yes westin, it is that one. Thanks for advice , will ring and check.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Grandmama wrote: »
    I have used it in the past for buying things in shops to save carrying cash around in spain. Been very useful actually. I will just hope to use it then in future get another type of card.
    Just using your ordinary bank debit card, even with its fees, is likely to be cheaper than using the TC Cash Passport and similar cards, and a lot less hassle. For best value and no fees use Starling Bank or Metro Bank (Europe only) cards.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grandmama wrote: »
    Not what I really wanted to hear. Would my travel insurance cover my loss?

No, as in you wont lose your money! Apologies.
  • JezR
    JezR Posts: 1,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The terms for the card linked to above includes the following:
    This Card is an electronic money product and although it is a product regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the UK Prudential Regulation Authority, it is not covered by the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme or any other compensation scheme. However, in order to provide protection to you, the funds held in respect of the Card are held by us, an issuing bank authorised by the UK Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the UK Prudential Regulation Authority, on trust, to ensure the funds are safeguarded in the unlikely event of insolvency.
  • Grandmama
    Options
    Thanks all. Some really good advice.
  • dleafy
    dleafy Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a one. It had $1200 and €200. I converted it to GBP.
    I took £500 out at the ATM yesteday and £500 today. I've added £28.46 today to make the total left £101.50. I'll be taking the final £100 out tomorrow. (it costs £1.50 per time to use a UK ATM).
    I'm told that there was no need to, but I just feel safer changing to a card that doesn't have Thomas Cook emblazened on the front when I go to Miami in 2 weeks. I'll be getting a Caxton card instead.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dleafy wrote: »
    I'll be getting a Caxton card instead.
    Having experienced its adverse rates and fees and finally rid yourself of the TC card, why replace it with one that's only marginally better instead of using the modern fee-free solutions of keeping your funds in pounds until the time of foreign transaction, such as with Starling Bank..?
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport