Thomas Cook Ceases Trading - Compulsory Liquidation (EDIT MON 23/9)

Options

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    As Westin has hinted, if you are thinking of booking any holiday with one of the large operators, it may make sense to book now rather than wait and see what happens to TC. If, and again I emphasise if, it fails two and a half million holidays will disappear from the market and other companies will capitalise and increase their prices. So I suspect will Easyjet, Ryanair and the rest as there will be a lot fewer seats on planes for 2020

Cannot blame them really,i suspect most of the big players in the holiday industry rely on large numbers with small profit per head to sustain their business.
    I know this is MSE site but this might be the time to wake up to the fact that if prices dont rise in the future more companies will go to the wall:eek:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Baled
    Baled Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My friend went into the TC shop to ask them to confirm with Expedia that our accommodation is secure and paid for. They just kept telling her it will be fine but wouldn't ring Expedia so we just have to take their word for it. If TC survive I will certainly never use them again.
  • TonyM19
    TonyM19 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Baled wrote: »
    My friend went into the TC shop to ask them to confirm with Expedia that our accommodation is secure and paid for. They just kept telling her it will be fine but wouldn't ring Expedia so we just have to take their word for it. If TC survive I will certainly never use them again.

This will be the thing now for TC. I book 3 or 4 flights only per year and have regularly used TC. I wouldn't consider them again even if they come out of this in one piece. A least until they could prove that this wouldn't just happen again 6 months down the line
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Baled wrote: »
    My friend went into the TC shop to ask them to confirm with Expedia that our accommodation is secure and paid for. They just kept telling her it will be fine but wouldn't ring Expedia so we just have to take their word for it. If TC survive I will certainly never use them again.[/QUOTE]

So who will you use? the UK is running out of airlines,if you trawl this site you will find that most people who have a misshap of some sort always " swear they will never use xxx again " but when your choice is limited you sometimes have to swallow your pride.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • They're still advertising cruises on the radio.
  • Baled
    Options
    Ganga, as I said earlier I don't use travel agents when booking my solo holidays, in fact I haven't used them in the last 8 years and I've been fortunate enough to go away at least twice a year.

My friends preferred to use a travel agent on this occasion so that's the path we chose. Of course, nothing is absolutely guaranteed whatever way you book a holiday, online or in a shop but TC have not been very helpful to say the least so why would I give them my future business? When Virgin, Natwest, British Gas, to name a few, have treated me woefully in the past (and I'm talking decades ago) I have never used them again period.

There is still choice when it comes to booking flights/holidays from the UK although, as it's already been said, it will cost more if TC go bump.
  • hawki
    hawki Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, Does anyone know what time the planned meeting is on Friday?
    I have flight only booked for Friday!
    Thanks
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never mind Friday, decisions are being taken this morning, Sunday at 0900. Regrettably optimism is in short supply at this stage but it's not over yet....
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 22 September 2019 at 6:15AM
    Options
    hawki wrote: »
    Hi, Does anyone know what time the planned meeting is on Friday?
    I have flight only booked for Friday!
    Thanks

IMHO, the situation will be made much clearer, one way or another, well before Friday. In fact there is a meeting at 9 am this morning between the largest shareholders and creditors. (EDIT: Cross posted with Alan above)

Let's not forget that company Directors are at risk of personal liability and/or disqualification if they allow the company to trade whilst insolvent. Once a company is insolvent the directors owe a duty to the company to take care to protect the interests of its creditors above the interests of its members. That's again why, IMHO, the future will probably be clarified well before Friday.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Baled
    Options
    If TC go under and it turns out they haven't paid Expedia for our hotel booking will my CC company help or am I stuffed under the 2nd party clause?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure