Thomas Cook Ceases Trading - Compulsory Liquidation (EDIT MON 23/9)

Options

Comments

• TonyM19
    TonyM19 Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick check on Section 75 coverage. I have 3 flights booked with TC over the next 6 months. I booked with TC online but linked through to the flights from Skyscanner. Just checking that doesn't count as a 2nd party and I'm still covered.

Checked how much to rebook with other airlines. Will cost me an extra £1k already before all the prices get ramped up.

Sobering that such a big company are in such trouble.
  • nanto3girls
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    We are booked to go away with them next month,its a TUI holiday but they use TC flights,not worried as " they have been in trouble " for a while and still going.

Same here. Booked Tui holiday but Thomas Cook flights.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have booked a TUI holiday then TUI will source an alternative flight if the airline ceases to trade.TUI are not in difficulties!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bobblebob wrote: »
    Seeing as my holiday will almost certainly be cancelled now, what are TUI like financially? If they're nore secure will take my Thomas Cook quote in and ask them to match it

Absolutely fine.

You could certainly try the tactic of asking TUI to price match a TC holiday but I would keep in mind that should the worst happen to TC then there will be a sudden deluge of people looking to book replacement holidays. If anything pricing could increase as capacity is removed from the market and demand to cover lost holiday bookings increases.

Perhaps use the weekend to look at your options for a TUI, Jet2 or other package holiday companies so that you are ahead of the pack should Thomas Cook sadly fail.
  • Westin
    Options
    TonyM19 wrote: »
    Quick check on Section 75 coverage. I have 3 flights booked with TC over the next 6 months. I booked with TC online but linked through to the flights from Skyscanner. Just checking that doesn't count as a 2nd party and I'm still covered.

Checked how much to rebook with other airlines. Will cost me an extra £1k already before all the prices get ramped up.

Sobering that such a big company are in such trouble.

Skyscanner is really just a price comparison site so they are not considered as an intermediary booking agent (referred to as 2nd party in your post).
  • Westin
    Options
    Same here. Booked Tui holiday but Thomas Cook flights.

Can’t see you will have any problem at all.

I am sure TUI have contingency plans in place should they have to substitute TC flying with an alternative airline.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    As Westin has hinted, if you are thinking of booking any holiday with one of the large operators, it may make sense to book now rather than wait and see what happens to TC. If, and again I emphasise if, it fails two and a half million holidays will disappear from the market and other companies will capitalise and increase their prices. So I suspect will Easyjet, Ryanair and the rest as there will be a lot fewer seats on planes for 2020
  • Baled
    Baled Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi. Can anyone help with my query please?

My friends and I booked hotel only in a Thomas Cook shop as we already had flights booked with ryanair. We paid for the accommodation in full at the end of June. One friend paid in cash, I paid the rest by credit card.

On the paperwork it says booking facilitated by Expedia and that TCCT Retail Ltd is acting as an intermediary.

I have called Expedia, they want the telephone number associated with the booking. Thomas Cook have refused to give this and told me nothing will be certain until Friday 27th and to wait until then.

I can only try calling the hotel now it seems just to be sure our accommodation is secure?

I'm assuming TC would have paid the funds to Expedia by now?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    It sounds as though TC simply acted as a travel agent, not the operator and your contract is with Expedia. They are not always the easiest to deal with but I suspect they will not give you any information unless TC fails, which I hope it doesn't.
  • Baled
    Baled Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Alan.

I'm pretty hopeful but would just like to be sure. When I book my own holidays I never use travel agents but as friends were involved we thought it would be better this way...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure