🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Thomas Cook Ceases Trading - Compulsory Liquidation (EDIT MON 23/9)

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 September 2019 at 4:28AM
    Options
    Baled wrote: »
    I wonder how Expedia are going to handle this? With TC no more will they make arrangements to discuss hotel bookings direct with customers that TC booked on their behalf?

Where do I stand credit card section 75 wise?

Can you explain the role of Expedia and TC.
    Which one was the travel agent?
    Do you mean Expedia as travel agent and TC hotel?
    If that’s the case you need to talk to Expedia as the contract is with them.
    No idea how they are going to handle it but you have a contract and section 75 if over £100 and you paid by CC.

My guess is that they would try to transfer people to something similar rather than give refunds,
  • Baled
    Baled Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Can you explain the role of Expedia and TC.
    Which one was the travel agent?
    Do you mean Expedia as travel agent and TC hotel?
    Hi lisyloo

Our triple room was booked at a TC shop at the end of June, they used Expedia to make the booking.

One friend paid in cash, I paid mine and my other friend's share by credit card.

I rang Expedia Saturday morning but they wouldn't speak to me as TC made the booking. My friend went into the TC shop Saturday afternoon and they just kept telling her it should be fine and wouldn't contact Expedia when asked so we still have no confirmation that the accommodation is actually secure.

I emailed the hotel Saturday morning but haven't had a response as of yet.

We fly out October 5th.
  • Baled
    Options
    Also, am I correct in thinking that as TC are classed as a 2nd party in the transaction Barclaycard can refuse to help under section 75?
  • roogster
    Options
    Hi everyone. I booked a package holiday through tc and paid £2300 so far on direct debit. The holiday is next June .i paid £2.50 per person for atol but never recieved a certificate. It says on booking form email that I will receive it 28 before travel. How will I fair
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Also, am I correct in thinking that as TC are classed as a 2nd party in the transaction Barclaycard can refuse to help under section 75?

Who is your contract actually with? Look at emails and documentation.
    Why do you think TC are a 2nd party?
  • Baled
    Options
    Hi lisyloo

Our triple room was booked at a TC shop at the end of June, they used Expedia to make the booking.

One friend paid in cash, I paid mine and my other friend's share by credit card.

I rang Expedia Saturday morning but they wouldn't speak to me as TC made the booking. My friend went into the TC shop Saturday afternoon and they just kept telling her it should be fine and wouldn't contact Expedia when asked so we still have no confirmation that the accommodation is actually secure.

I emailed the hotel Saturday morning but haven't had a response as of yet.

We fly out October 5th.

Just spoken to Expedia who have said the hotel booking will be fine.

They can't provide written confirmation at the moment because their verification process still requires TC's telephone number.

I've asked when a workaround for TC customers will be put in place, he suggested I call back after 24 hours.

I hope Expedia sort this out quickly.
  • Baled
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Who is your contract actually with? Look at emails and documentation.
    Why do you think TC are a 2nd party?

The booking reference is Expedia's. TC has acted as an intermediary. I think I've read that if I pay one supplier who pays a different supplier the transaction chain is not direct so it's not covered under section 75.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    Yes you’d only have section 75 with the entity you actually paid, which would be shown on your statement, but hopefully you won’t need that,
  • James-may
    Options
    It's looking like it's a faff to prove how much you paid and how, I paid some card, some cash, and some DD.
    Surely the CAA will have access to the TC payments dept database so you can provide booking ref, identification and a bank account you want the money refunded into, they would then just refund everything you paid into your nominated account.
    It would save all sorts of time verifying amounts, and people scrambling round looking for proof for all the sources of payment.

Oh and probably a silly question, but should j now cancel the direct debit (due 1st), I didn't want to cancel before in case it voided my holiday and atol.
    Thanks
  • bradders1983
    Options
    James-may wrote: »
    It's looking like it's a faff to prove how much you paid and how, I paid some card, some cash, and some DD.
    Surely the CAA will have access to the TC payments dept database so you can provide booking ref, identification and a bank account you want the money refunded into, they would then just refund everything you paid into your nominated account.
    It would save all sorts of time verifying amounts, and people scrambling round looking for proof for all the sources of payment.

Oh and probably a silly question, but should j now cancel the direct debit (due 1st), I didn't want to cancel before in case it voided my holiday and atol.
    Thanks

Yes, it is a silly question. There is no company to pay and they wont be going in for direct debits anyway, just cancel it.

As for paying by different methods, surely for something as important as a holiday you kept a record of dates and amounts? When Monarch went under I had paid amounts using two different credit cards, yes a faff but got the money back from the CC companies within a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport