Tesco’s ‘Clubcard Prices’ discount promo is back – but how do the deals stack up? - MSE News

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Get the clubcard App and scan the card from your phone.
    Or just don't buy the items on special offer.
    Or shop at Lidl to start with as apparently they are cheaper.
  • Ah well Tesco ain’t there to capture 100% of the market but instead find ways to balance customer satisfaction with good profits. Personally I think it’s a good marketing strategy.

Definitely not for everyone but I for one like it. 
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,889 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No problem for me, my club card is on the app on my phone. I quite like it to be honest. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ah well Tesco ain’t there to capture 100% of the market but instead find ways to balance customer satisfaction with good profits. Personally I think it’s a good marketing strategy.

Exactly.
    I'd guess Tesco have thought it through and allowed for losing a proportion of their customers who can't remember to keep their clubcards with them when they go shopping.
  • Mickey666 said:
    Ah well Tesco ain’t there to capture 100% of the market but instead find ways to balance customer satisfaction with good profits. Personally I think it’s a good marketing strategy.

Exactly.
    I'd guess Tesco have thought it through and allowed for losing a proportion of their customers who can't remember to keep their clubcards with them when they go shopping.
    If it doesn’t bring them value they will soon dump it. Tesco ain’t shy getting rid of stuff that doesn’t make them money. 

The competition between these supermarkets is very good I think. More power to them all trying ways to keep the majority of customers happy while looking at ways to increase market share and profits. 
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mickey666 said:

Exactly.
    If it doesn’t bring them value they will soon dump it. Tesco ain’t shy getting rid of stuff that doesn’t make them money. 

The competition between these supermarkets is very good I think. More power to them all trying ways to keep the majority of customers happy while looking at ways to increase market share and profits. 
    Most of the offers are the same as they were doing anyway, just you need a clubcard to get them. I think if this doesn't work Tesco would consider if it is worth keeping clubcard at all, I think the number of people with one was dropping and they weren't getting the amount of data they used to.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Clubcard provide tabs to put on a keyring. There can't be many people who don't have keys with them every time they go shopping. Once on, no need to remember to take cards. 
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    It was more beneficial in Nov/Christmas as spirits were part of the CC prices. I saved £17 off my shopping and another £8 on the coupon. 

You can use your money off coupons against alcohol - even though its on the list of excluded items. Just use self scan or scan n go and coupons work. Max I spend on alcohol is half the coupon's min spend - so if its a £8 off £40, I spend a max of £20 on alcohol.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It's the same principal as 'conditional spend coupons' - they need to be tendered at the time of transaction. So, with CC special prices, you need the CC scanned to gain access to them. The only other option - when CSD can't help is to have credited as you take the sp items out of the trolley - and return the next day with your card to get them for real.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I wonder if Tesco Clubcard have been busy, issuing new cards from people wanting one as a result of the promotion? that was the case about seven years ago when they did a fuel save promotion linked to clubcard.

I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure