Using a library computer for online banking ?

I am not sure is this is the correct forum to ask this question ,

I have been using a library computer to do my online banking for about one month now when I login I am told not to tick a box if I am on a shared computer . But I have heard that it is not safe to use a public computer for online banking as your security details can be stolen by fraudsters

I have heard about using incognito mode how safe is this ? or not to use the computer until shortly before the computers are switched off for the night

Anybody know anymore on the subject ?

Comments

• IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    There are such things as keyloggers which can be put onto computers, so I would personally never use any computer other than my own for banking or other sensitive operations. I'd also never log into any email account that was attached to my banking, or log into twitter, facebook or others of their ilk.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I second the above.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,262 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2019 at 12:28PM
    As above, if you are unsure of what might be running in the background of a device, don't type anything private into it.

Incognito mode just prevents information being stored by the web browser. It does not prevent the information being intercepted and stolen.
  • Lomcevak
    Lomcevak Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    In addition to the above (which I agree with), I think use of a shared computer might complicate a claim if there was subsequently fraudulent activity on the account, irrespective of whether fraud was due to the shared computer or not.

For example, if the bank suggested that the fraud resulted from you using a shared computer without adequately safeguarding your credentials, or failing to log out correctly, etc., then might well be hard to prove otherwise. "I only ever log in on a personal computer (running anti-virus etc.) in my own home" is a much stronger response.
    £40k-in-’23#18 £78,628.29/40,000 (196.57%)
  • IanSt wrote: »
    There are such things as keyloggers which can be put onto computers, so I would personally never use any computer other than my own for banking or other sensitive operations. I'd also never log into any email account that was attached to my banking, or log into twitter, facebook or others of their ilk.

I would agree with the above and would never log into any public computer for sensitive operations such as banking.

Also I never login to public wi-fi on my phone for banking details either; if I absolutely must login to bank accounts when out and about, I would only use my mobile data. :p
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It is a recipe for disaster, using a public computer for your internet banking. If it went pear-shaped, I would be worried that a bank might consider it to be negligent.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Aidanmc
    Aidanmc Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I must admit that i have used public library computers in Spain for internet banking transactions occasionally. In India i have used internet cafe computers for the same!! I guess that i was taking risks that i never really thought about!
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lomcevak wrote: »
    I think use of a shared computer might complicate a claim if there was subsequently fraudulent activity on the account
    If it went pear-shaped, I would be worried that a bank might consider it to be negligent.
    But presumably neither of you are aware of any case where a bank has refused a claim for fraudulent access to an account because the account holder accessed the account using a computer that was not under their sole ownership and control?

I've never heard of a case where a library's public-use computers have found to have been compromised leading to unauthorised access of people's online services (which isn't to say it hasn't happened). Perhaps others here have.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It is a recipe for disaster, using a public computer for your internet banking. If it went pear-shaped, I would be worried that a bank might consider it to be negligent.

Highly unlikely, or they would block access if you ticked using shared computer.
    Life in the slow lane
  • It's been 16 years since I've used a library computer for internet access, back then everything was locked down and all you could do on the computer was access Internet Explorer. Not sure how they have them set up these days, whether anyone can install software onto them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure