TalkTalk charging for emails!

Options

Comments

• purley
    Options
    I got free email with my Gateway computer and a Gateway address (I had previously only had a Hotmail account with my first home PC) which then morphed several times through tiscali/wanadoo/orange/ee before I decamped in disgust at the orange/ee service (they phoned me about 20 times a day trying to sell me stuff and almost sent me mad). My tiscali addresses (3) have remained my primary addresses as they have my and my husband's full names. I don't sign in at all as the emails are automatically retrieved into my Outlook 2007 which I prefer to the later editions and I don't have an Outlook address at all. I changed all my Yahoo log-ins and tried to let people know I no longer was going to use Yahoo mail as it was forever going down and now I have to lose the Tiscali addresses as well even though I don't use any functions of the site at all. I can't say I'm happy at the short notice. I'll probably never remember some of the people/businesses that only have my Tiscali addresses so I will lose touch with so many. I have recently moved house and so any I missed with the change of address will now be lost to me. Shame this could not have been handled better, and with more notice. I got my email this morning and have ignored a couple before as I thought they were spam/phishing emails as I don't have TalkTalk and that's what the headline said. This time I Googled and found it was true. :(
  • ilurvfree
    ilurvfree Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely they could allow you to Port your email address using something similar to a PAC code used by the mobile companies?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ilurvfree wrote: »
    Surely they could allow you to Port your email address using something similar to a PAC code used by the mobile companies?

Its not available.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ilurvfree wrote: »

No because if you have an "@gmail.com" address for example all the data will still be sent to the gmail.com server and then you are expecting them to commit to forwarding this data on indefinitely to the new email provider so your still using their server resources.

So why would any company want to do this when the receive no benefit from it ?
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Its not available.

It is indeed available, and that is what OP has been asked to pay £50 for, since Talktalk appears to be doing some kind of rationalisation of various email/SMTP domains they are currently holding.

Technically, it is called email domain migration.
    Another example for this is virginmedia customers with legacy @ntlworld.com and @blueyonder.com email aliases.
  • pugsley29
    pugsley29 Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not enough notice will probably take me 6 months to sort this out. Not happy.
    Wishing you a lucky 2023: 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2019 at 12:30PM
    Options
    This is why I bought the w w w.myrealname.com domain around 20 years ago as all I have to do is give everyone my email@myrealname.com e-mail address.

This makes switching ISP's a piece of cake as all I have to do is set my domain provider to re-direct all e-mails to the new ISP's e-mail address and nobody who has my e-mail address needs to know or do anything.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    still have to reconfigure email server side every time you do the ISP switch:). Also, some ISPs (for e.g Vodafone) do not offer email service anymore as a part of their DSL broadband.To some people, it may sound like piece of ...

vacheron wrote: »
    This is why I bought the w w w.myrealname.com domain around 20 years ago as all I have to do is give everyone my email@myrealname.com e-mail address.

This makes switching ISP's a piece of cake as all I have to do is set my domain provider to re-direct all e-mails to the new ISP's e-mail address and nobody who has my e-mail address needs to know or do anything.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Amazed that anyone is still keeping email addresses from an ISP that has been effectively defunct for 20 years, and more to the point expects to retain that email address for life despite not actually using the service.

Just move to Gmail or Yahoo or Outlook.com or iCloud like everyone else did. Why would you even want an ISP-provided email address anyway, it's far less flexible?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,533 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Well I finally got the e-mail on 16th Sep to both of my tiscali addresses - telling me I'd have to pay from 1st October. Given that over the last few months; the webmail service availability has fallen off, the spam filters are unreliable and ads are more intrusive... I'm certainly not convinced to pay for their service.
    Still using the account for free...

After telling me they would close from 1st October they are now saying that I will get reduced service from 9th November and after that they will start switching off if you haven't signed up. The "improved" interface they brought in earlier this year is not an improvement as far as I can see - the availability has improved but the spam hasn't. So still no incentive to pay them for the service.

I'm surprised they haven't even tried to entice me back to them as an ISP either...
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure