PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller wants to take light fittings and curtain rails?

Options

Comments

• comedyseeker123
    comedyseeker123 Posts: 182 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2019 at 12:35PM
    Options
    That doesn't make sense, I'm talking about BUYING - I wouldn't be bothered about the seller leaving them for me as I'd probably replace them anyway.

Everyone might as well leave them as than they can move into the house with curtains and replace with due course. If you arent attached to your own curtain poles, leave them - they prob wont fit in the next house. I don't care much for fabric curtains but the poles I would like them to leave.
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Well, shoot me down, y'all. In our last move we took all sorts of things you would normally leave but made it perfectly clear to our buyers both in person and on the F and F form we were doing so. Our reasons were personal and mostly sentimental.

We offered to replace the door knobs (yes, you read that right; end of line, never seen anything like them again) and other stuff like light fittings but they said they would prefer to choose their own. We offered to reduce the price to cover these items and they politely declined! I think they knew they were getting a bargain and seemed to love the house as much as we did.

We did leave them some patio furniture, a petrol mower and a whole load of other stuff which more than covered the cost of the items we were taking so I do not think they felt short-changed at all, probably because we were very upfront about it from the word "go". So long as they were happy... :p:D

But the key to all this is that you made it abundantly clear presumably at the time of viewings what would be taken...and I'm all for that.

Where my problem comes in is that as buyers we are shown round a beautifully decorated and presented property that clearly has a mark up on price because "its been done to a high standard" EA words to us.

I accept that and offer full asking price and then the vendor some weeks down the line changes the goal posts...even my offer went in as £x to include carpets and lighting,seller agreed but subsequently changed their mind..

I'm buying something else at the moment...its what can only be described as a dooer upper ...and I've no interest in the light fittings,cant even remember what they are like...i'm just grateful that theres working mains electricity.

But the difference is with this property it was priced as a dooer upper whereas the previous one with the lighting in situ was not.

As a buyer it pays to check exactly what your buying before you offer so the f and f forms are not too much of an assumption on either side
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • babyblade41
    babyblade41 Posts: 3,934 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did you sue for breach of contract

No I couldn't be bothered, in the grand scheme of things it was something I sucked up
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But the key to all this is that you made it abundantly clear presumably at the time of viewings what would be taken...and I'm all for that.

Where my problem comes in is that as buyers we are shown round a beautifully decorated and presented property that clearly has a mark up on price because "its been done to a high standard" EA words to us.

I accept that and offer full asking price and then the vendor some weeks down the line changes the goal posts...even my offer went in as £x to include carpets and lighting,seller agreed but subsequently changed their mind..

I'm buying something else at the moment...its what can only be described as a dooer upper ...and I've no interest in the light fittings,cant even remember what they are like...i'm just grateful that theres working mains electricity.

But the difference is with this property it was priced as a dooer upper whereas the previous one with the lighting in situ was not.

As a buyer it pays to check exactly what your buying before you offer so the f and f forms are not too much of an assumption on either side

Totally agree, need an answer: We made a point of saying, when they admired e.g. the birdbaths, "They're not staying, sorry. That one (on the ground) we have never seen the like of so doubt we could replace it and that one (normal, fluted column-looking thing) was a bargain and I'll never get one for that price again."

We also pointed out we were taking the light fittings because, as someone else said, we decorate to our taste: Fashion be damned as far as I'm concerned and stuff goes out of style so you can't always replace like for like.

I think we and they dealt with honour which is why there was no ill-feeling. I do remember, several hundred years ago, moving into a rented flat with not one light bulb in it; I thought that was pretty poor. It's all about how you manage expectations, as you say.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Reminds me a bit of when we bought our old house. They offered to sell us their fitted carpets but they had a large dog and the whole house smelled of dog so we declined.
    When we arrived to move in, they'd lifted the carpets and left them in the front garden for us to dispose of.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We moved the same lights twice - living room and dining room ones. They were expensive crystal type ones and I loved them. Wanted to bring them here too but hubby said no. lol

We did put new fittings up and told the buyers we would be taking the old ones.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When family viewed a house, the vendor made a meal about the 'lovely new carpet' in the master bedroom. Fine - it was a neutral colour they would have chosen.

There was a lovely - HUGE- wardrobe in the bedroom, which the vendors made quite clear that they would be taking with them. Again, no problem, as family had their own bedroom furniture.

Then they moved in - and found that the 'lovely new carpet' had been fitted AROUND the wardrobe.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    We moved the same lights twice - living room and dining room ones. They were expensive crystal type ones and I loved them. Wanted to bring them here too but hubby said no. lol

We did put new fittings up and told the buyers we would be taking the old ones.

"Hubby said, "No"? Waterlily24? Perhaps your standard-issue sign stating the obvious was lost in the move? You know, the one that goes, "The views of the husband are not always the views of the management".

I suggest you replace it, and the Golden Rules, a.s.a.p... Wish I could find my copy of the Golden Rules but OH has them pretty much down by now. :D
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When we bought previous house the sellers had taken the plugs from kitchen and bathroom sinks. Never did work that one out.

Friends bought a croft in a remote part of Scotland a few years back, and the seller left them a raccoon cage (as she thought they might find it useful :)).
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Skiddaw1 wrote: »
    When we bought previous house the sellers had taken the plugs from kitchen and bathroom sinks. Never did work that one out.

Friends bought a croft in a remote part of Scotland a few years back, and the seller left them a raccoon cage (as she thought they might find it useful :)).

:rotfl:, Skiddaw1, what with raccoons being, as they are, native to Scotland... I thought they came from Newcastle, myself... Or are they "magpies"?

Might they not have been rat traps? Slightly more useful than raccoon cages in Scotland perhaps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure