Marcus by Goldman Sachs account

Options

Comments

• Tradeyman
    Options
    Hi, if you log into your Marcus Account and select "Review my Savings" you can extend your bonus rate for a year from the day you extend it. I considered waiting as my introductory bonus does not end until October, but these rates do disappear sometimes. My family and friends all like Marcus. The account is simple to manage and apart from at weekends the transactions are fast. I do wish they had an app for convenience but that is my only criticism.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »
    What would really stand out is if they gave customers advance notice of any rate reductions and allowed them to renew for 12 months.

On their website under review my savings

"Take advantage of a new bonus rate for your Online Savings Account.

You can renew the bonus rate on your account whenever there’s one available, without charge and regardless of how long you’ve been on that rate.

Key facts
    The bonus rate will be applied to your account immediately.
    You’ll start earning interest at this new rate from today.
    The bonus rate is fixed and will last for 12 months.2
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What would really stand out is if they gave customers advance notice of any rate reductions and allowed them to renew for 12 months.
    On their website under review my savings

"Take advantage of a new bonus rate for your Online Savings Account.

You can renew the bonus rate on your account whenever there’s one available, without charge and regardless of how long you’ve been on that rate.

Key facts
    The bonus rate will be applied to your account immediately.
    You’ll start earning interest at this new rate from today.
    The bonus rate is fixed and will last for 12 months.2
    Some people are renewing their bonus rate every few days. My point is that if we knew that Marcus would advise us of a pending rate reduction then this would not be necessary.
  • typistretired
    Options
    Well when lots of savers move their savings from bank of Scotland and Lloyds Bank to them at the beginning of October we will see how Marcus react.

Ps I am still keeping my accounts open with minimal amounts to get the regular savers, free cinema tickets and magazines
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Some people are renewing their bonus rate every few days. My point is that if we knew that Marcus would advise us of a pending rate reduction then this would not be necessary.

Having only very recently opened a Marcus account, I haven't used this feature, and don't intend to use it for several months.

I may be being overly pessimistic, but can't help feeling that Marcus will with draw this option if people really are renewing their bonus rate every few days:cool:
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Having only very recently opened a Marcus account, I haven't used this feature, and don't intend to use it for several months.

I may be being overly pessimistic, but can't help feeling that Marcus will with draw this option if people really are renewing their bonus rate every few days:cool:

Which are thoughts too, hence my post in another thread...

"......I can't help wondering if renewing the bonus at this level of frequency will trigger an alert which cause the 'loophole' to be closed.

A bit like when lots of people were using Tesco accounts and setting up Direct Debits for £1.

Eventually organisations will wise up to what's happening.

Maybe use it, but don't abuse it......."
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »

scoot65 wrote: »
    Which are thoughts too, hence my post in another thread...

"......I can't help wondering if renewing the bonus at this level of frequency will trigger an alert which cause the 'loophole' to be closed.

A bit like when lots of people were using Tesco accounts and setting up Direct Debits for £1.

Eventually organisations will wise up to what's happening.

Maybe use it, but don't abuse it......."

Here is an example of what may be regarded as over use of the update facility.

However, as it is hidden away it may only be a few MSE users using the facility so it will probably not register on the Marcus radar.
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Done it 6 times already, every few days.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76199328#post76199328
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    However, as it is hidden away it may only be a few MSE users using the facility so it will probably not register on the Marcus radar.

Not any more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving/article-7376095/How-ensure-Marcus-account-keeps-paying-1-5.html
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Here is an example of what may be regarded as over use of the update facility.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76199328#post76199328

Yes I've just read that and was going to respond, but decided against it. I get a headache when I :wall: too often.

Why people are doing this every few days escapes me. The additional interest achieved must be miniscule.
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've not had any problems with the account, the customer service is top-notch, the only thing they are lacking is they don't have an app, it's all web-based.

Always remember to use the linked account to transfer money from or into, otherwise it won't go through.
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family