Shampoo bar

Options
13»

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I use the purple one from Lush and my hair feels and looks great :) it lives in the wire shower basket but I also bought the Lush tin for when I take it away with me
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • borollan
    borollan Posts: 209 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I get the Coffee one from Bare Naturals, my local replenish shop sell it.
    its absolutely amazing and at £4.50 doesn't hurt the purse.
    I used to love the smell of the Lush karma one but at £8+postage it was unjustifiable

I keep mine on a pretty saucer on the bathroom windowsill
    Stop Buying **** We Don't Need :D
  • pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    I buy shampoo and conditioner bars from lashiba on ebay I buy the smallest size and keep them in a small plastic soap box also from ebay. They do last a couple of months depending how often you wash your hair they sell lots of different types and I am sure you can contact them for advice. I have mainly been using bars for about 3 years they are great for travelling with. The condition of my hair has significantly improved and is much shinier. I also find them easy to use, I did try a Lush one a few years ago and got it tangled in my hair
  • countrykate
    Options
    I bought the seanik shampoo bar from lush and the little metal tin to keep it in. I just make sure I dry it before I put it away after use and have found it doesn't go soggy or waste any :)

My hair is dry on the ends and greasy on top and very knotty. I've found this one to be really good. It leaves no residue, my hair is soft and it smells really nice too.

I haven't tried any others but I could do with switching to a conditioner bar too if anyone can recommend one for dry hair.

I imagine this one will last me a while if its dried properly after each use and for £8 I think I could get almost a year out of it if not more as they last for 80 washes.
  • maryannlee
    Options
    Check Lush production, it is really decent
  • dawn1980
    Options
    It's been a good few years since I've used them, but all of the Lush bars were good for me and I loved the smells. I dried them on the shower shelf and I have a tin for travel. I seem to recal them lasting months.

I didn't get along with the solid conditioners though.
  • ntipp
    ntipp Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Typically I buy Little Soap Company shampoo bars, they're vegan-friendly and cruelty-free. They often have good sales on.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    I tried Lush solid shampoo for a few months- my hair really didn't like them and neither did I.
    Lush is very greenwashy and expensive
  • Spriggan
    Options
    I used the Lush honey bar for ages, but did eventually find it was too drying. I've since tried cutting out SLS from all my products (also switching to Dr Bronner soap instead of shower gel), and the improvement in my skin has been sensational!

But trying to transition to the SLS free shampoo bars was a nightmare. For a couple of weeks my hair was just full of scum. It got a bit better after that, but not much. After lots of reading, I decided that I'd try to fully transition to SLS free with a liquid shampoo, and then it might be easier to move on to the bars. I live in an extremely hard water area, so even some of the liquids are tough going. But I've just come to the end of a bottle of Green People and have an Ethique bar waiting in the wings. I'll report back!
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Spriggan wrote: »
    I used the Lush honey bar for ages, but did eventually find it was too drying. I've since tried cutting out SLS from all my products (also switching to Dr Bronner soap instead of shower gel), and the improvement in my skin has been sensational!

But trying to transition to the SLS free shampoo bars was a nightmare. For a couple of weeks my hair was just full of scum. It got a bit better after that, but not much. After lots of reading, I decided that I'd try to fully transition to SLS free with a liquid shampoo, and then it might be easier to move on to the bars. I live in an extremely hard water area, so even some of the liquids are tough going. But I've just come to the end of a bottle of Green People and have an Ethique bar waiting in the wings. I'll report back!

You can easily cut out SLS and still not use a soap-based product, though not so early with shampoo bars of course There are loads of gentler detergents that don't interact with the water (to be honest, even SLES is gentler and very easily found in most supermarket shampoos - though if you're wanting to go sulphate-free it's obviously not an option). You just need to read the ingredients to see what detergents are used; they're always the first few ingredients in shampoos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure