IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

County Court Claim

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• mercuteio
    mercuteio Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Le_Kirk said:
    Wow, an excellent court report and well done on the win(s).  Shame about costs but at least you got half.  What you are after is a transcription, which I believe can be quite pricey.  @Coupon-mad has been posting again lately after having been helping people as lay rep (and in fact has posted several times today).  Best contact her through the PM system on here.  It's the envelope symbol top right of the page.
    Thank-you, thank-you! Ok, will look into the transcription. I suspect if they're charged on a "per unit time" basis rather than a "per hearing" basis, then this one may be a little too pricey as it was such a long hearing. But I will find out, and if it's within reason then I'll get hold of it. 

Really glad to hear that Coupon-mad is ok - will drop her a PM later. 

Best wishes! :smiley:
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You're probably looking at circa £150-£200 per half hour for a transcript ... it's unlikely that your case will provide enough new angles for a transcript to be worth the cost.
  • mercuteio
    Options
    DoaM said:
    You're probably looking at circa £150-£200 per half hour for a transcript ... it's unlikely that your case will provide enough new angles for a transcript to be worth the cost.
    That's really useful to know - thank-you very much for letting me know. Will still ask to check.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don't know if these are one of the approved companies, but they seem to "only" charge £90 + VAT per hour. (£0.74 per folio ... i.e. per 72 words).

https://legal.ubiqus.co.uk/civil-transcripts/
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I am extremely hopeful that she's simply been inundated with stuff and not been able to reply on that basis
    Spot on - and I apologise for that.  You have no idea!  I am sooo busy with parking stuff and family life too.  If I had time I would have tried and written a document for costs for unreasonable conduct but it sounds like your Judge would have gone for proportionality anyway! Doesn't sound like she considered their conduct to meet the high bar of unreasonableness.  Not allowing your reserved costs was a slap though...why on earth should you NOT get your reserved costs, you attended twice and the adjournment was down to VCS wasn't it?

Too late now though, the Judge has then last word and if it helps, a couple of recent cases I've presented have had ALL costs refused.

Very well done - ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • mercuteio
    Options
    DoaM said:
    I don't know if these are one of the approved companies, but they seem to "only" charge £90 + VAT per hour. (£0.74 per folio ... i.e. per 72 words).

https://legal.ubiqus.co.uk/civil-transcripts/

Ah! Yes, I see - this may be a bit on the high side. Still, I'll ask and see - maybe there's a cheaper option. 

I am extremely hopeful that she's simply been inundated with stuff and not been able to reply on that basis
    Spot on - and I apologise for that.  You have no idea!  I am sooo busy with parking stuff and family life too.  

Oh, no problem - I'm just glad to hear that you're ok! Being in a pandemic raised my suspicions slightly. It is absolutely no surprise to me whatsoever that you're completely inundated. I can't imagine keeping up the way you and your fellow forumites do! You all go so far above and beyond, and it's difficult to understand how you manage. 

If I had time I would have tried and written a document for costs for unreasonable conduct but it sounds like your Judge would have gone for proportionality anyway! Doesn't sound like she considered their conduct to meet the high bar of unreasonableness.  Not allowing your reserved costs was a slap though...why on earth should you NOT get your reserved costs, you attended twice and the adjournment was down to VCS wasn't it? 

Yes, I completely agree - I might have been able to pull her round to allowing me my reserved costs, but if that needed a push then I suspect that convincing her to award costs on an indemnity basis may have been a step too far. I agree with you, though - I was a little stung by being told that I wasn't allowed costs when not only did VCS push for adjournment, but they also would have had two separate hearings for the two individual claims if they'd had their way. 

Too late now though, the Judge has then last word and if it helps, a couple of recent cases I've presented have had ALL costs refused.

But this is the bottom line, and frankly, I'm just glad I won. And actually, hearing about your cases having all had their costs refused does actually make me feel a bit better that I at least got some of my costs awarded.

Very well done - ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!! Huge appreciation to all of you!!! smileysmileysmiley

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback