Having BIG regrets about selling...can't shake the feelings.

Options
Sold my vehicle but been having regrets every day to the point I can't shake the feeling.

Basically I said no to good offers at 6.5k because I wasn't really ready to sell at the point as I didn't have my new vehicle yet but then when I was ready to sell I accepted an offer of 5.750k reluctantly, because money was tight and I was worried in case I couldn't get 6.5k back (as I did have lower offers). I did receive higher offers before but it was a case of wrong place wrong time so didn't work out. After it was sold I did a stupid thing and left my adverts running for a bit and I got an asking price offer at 6.8k and two others at 6.5k so I'm feeling a bit gutted especially since money is tight. I kind of followed my partner's advice as he said to accept 5.8k and 5.750 was pretty much there and he would accept it or advise me to accept it.

Anyway what made it worse is I peed buyer off by changing the arranged date of collection due to me losing track of time just a few hours after he was supposed to collect but he didn't check his phone, he only checked it when he got there and I wasn't there and was super annoyed to the point he was swearing at me as he had travelled a couple of hours away. So I agreed to give him £50 off the price and take it to him which cost me in petrol twice. He did apologise for swearing and I can understand why he was annoyed.
Just can't get it off my mind, as I ended up getting about 5.5k after advertising costs and extra petrol costs etc, 1K less than what i could have had. Only because I felt pressured due to various factors and I'm now beating myself up mega about it.
It's not even like I can buy it back as I bought a new one which I really don't like but I felt pressured into buying my new one and now don't have the money to buy it back anyway. Not sure he would even sell it back to me after I peed him off.

Just don't know how to shake this feeling, as I feel it went to the wrong person, for the wrong price and I should have followed my gut feeling all along despite my partner telling me it was my emotions and not to listen to them but to stick with the plan. It's getting to the stage I'm angry with myself for not listening to my gut and doing what I wanted to do to the point where I feel like I don't want to listen to my partner again on anything (even though he usually gives good advice). He actually said today that he didn't say I should have accepted the 5.750 offer, even though I know he did say that for certain, 100%, as he is saying now the lowest should have been 5.8k. So that made me see red.

It happened about 3 weeks ago and I'm still feeling the same, maybe worse with each day that passes.

Does anyone have any tips or advice as to how to shake the regrets feeling as a result of my bad decision making?

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sold my vehicle but been having regrets every day to the point I can't shake the feeling.

Basically I said no to good offers at 6.5k because I wasn't really ready to sell at the point as I didn't have my new vehicle yet but then when I was ready to sell I accepted an offer of 5.750k reluctantly, because money was tight and I was worried in case I couldn't get 6.5k back (as I did have lower offers). I did receive higher offers before but it was a case of wrong place wrong time so didn't work out. After it was sold I did a stupid thing and left my adverts running for a bit and I got an asking price offer at 6.8k and two others at 6.5k so I'm feeling a bit gutted especially since money is tight. I kind of followed my partner's advice as he said to accept 5.8k and 5.750 was pretty much there and he would accept it or advise me to accept it.

Anyway what made it worse is I peed buyer off by changing the arranged date of collection due to me losing track of time just a few hours after he was supposed to collect but he didn't check his phone, he only checked it when he got there and I wasn't there and was super annoyed to the point he was swearing at me as he had travelled a couple of hours away. So I agreed to give him £50 off the price and take it to him which cost me in petrol twice. He did apologise for swearing and I can understand why he was annoyed.
    Just can't get it off my mind, as I ended up getting about 5.5k after advertising costs and extra petrol costs etc, 1K less than what i could have had. Only because I felt pressured due to various factors and I'm now beating myself up mega about it.
    It's not even like I can buy it back as I bought a new one which I really don't like but I felt pressured into buying my new one and now don't have the money to buy it back anyway. Not sure he would even sell it back to me after I peed him off.

Just don't know how to shake this feeling, as I feel it went to the wrong person, for the wrong price and I should have followed my gut feeling all along despite my partner telling me it was my emotions and not to listen to them but to stick with the plan. It's getting to the stage I'm angry with myself for not listening to my gut and doing what I wanted to do to the point where I feel like I don't want to listen to my partner again on anything (even though he usually gives good advice). He actually said today that he didn't say I should have accepted the 5.750 offer, even though I know he did say that for certain, 100%, as he is saying now the lowest should have been 5.8k. So that made me see red.

It happened about 3 weeks ago and I'm still feeling the same, maybe worse with each day that passes.

Does anyone have any tips or advice as to how to shake the regrets feeling as a result of my bad decision making?
    Over time it'll dissipate. You'll "lose" far more money through wrong decisions in your lifetime and you'll always remember the losses more than the gains. I put "lose" in inverted commas because you didn't lose money on the deal. You don't know if any of those higher offers would have resulted in actual cash in your hand, they might have bargained down or walked away. Better to have a known sum of cash than a theoretical sum a few hundred quid higher.
  • wishuponastar
    Options
    Thanks, i just wonder at what point the feeling will dissipate as so far, it feels like it has got worse every day. Is it normal to get worse? Then dissipate?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Silly, I would have offered £8000.

When viewing the car I would have knocked you down to around £4300 though
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, i just wonder at what point the feeling will dissipate as so far, it feels like it has got worse every day. Is it normal to get worse? Then dissipate?
    Something else good or bad will be along soon to take your mind off it. In the grand scheme of the hundreds of thousands of pounds you will earn and spend in your lifetime it's utterly trivial. I bet you're "up" more than the few hundred quid you think you're "down" from something else in the past.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure this belongs on here as it seems less about the car and more about your mental health issues.

Have you sought advice from your GP about your problems?
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Think of it this way, your buyer may soon suffer a completely unforeseeable major breakdown, costing many £££ to repair, and you'll have then dodged a bullet!!!

Every cloud!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Seems perfectly normal sellers remorse to me. I did the exact same thing once, checked Autotrader, priced my car the same as the others, sold it the day Autotrader came out, then got no end of phone calls offering me more money if I could pull out of the sale.

One person who offered me £500 more called me back a few days later to ask if there were any problems with it, as he was buying it off the trader who bought it off me for £1500 more.

No idea why it was worth £1500 more than the others, yes it had low mileage and not a mark on it, but how do you get the punters round if you price that high?

Took me years to get over that, thinking of what I could have spent that extra £500 at least on, but I'd agreed the price with the trader already. Explains why I'm not a millionaire really.

Eventually I found something worse to regret, but at the time it really stung.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Win some. Lose some.
    A tale of buying and selling cars.

The OP is making it a personal issue.
    It's not. It's a car been sold. A tin box.
    Walk away and don't look back.
    Unless you're a trader, you don't buy a car to make a profit.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Lots of people make asking price "offers" either to be scams or to quickly back off when you say "ok". Also a lot of people make offers then chip you back heavily when they get there when they find "issues" with the car.

I very much doubt you'd have ended up with much extra money in your pocket, if any. AND you had the relief of getting the car away at the time you needed it to go.

You sold it based on the best information you had at the time, therefore it was the right decision.

Treat it as a learning exercise that you've learned from and move on. :)
  • alan_d
    alan_d Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I regretting selling a car last year, only really because i'd had it for so long, was reliable, comfortable and I wasn't sure about it's replacement. The buyer had a thread on Piston Heads about it, which I commented on, and mentioned that if he ever sells it....
    6 months later I got a text from him, change of job, and offered me the car (now with ~17k more miles on it) for pretty much half what I sold it for with 4 new winter tyres on it! A train trip and ~100 mile journey later and I had it back, as well as the replacement!
    I ran both in parallel for a while then when a good mate was looking for a cheap car sold it to him, for what it cost me 2nd time around.
    Strangely no regret after the 2nd sale, maybe because I know it's gone to a good home, and having ironed out most of the issues with the replacement, i'm enjoying it more.
    There was little logical reason to buy it back, as it cost me in insurance and tax etc, but just felt I needed to!
    Sometimes it's just about getting things straight in your head. It's not worth worrying over a few hundred £ here and there for what could have been.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure