Death in Service beneficiary

Options

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This has been split between his child and me. his Pension will automatically go to the child.

So had he also completed a EOW form specifying that under the pension too? Usually it's spouse, by default.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,927 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This has been split between his child and me. his Pension will automatically go to the child.

Are you sure, why automatically....

There's too many questions and strange scenarios in this.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

No not automatically. It would normally go to a married spouse unless he expressed differently.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    “ This has been split between his child and me. his Pension will automatically go to the child.
    Originally posted by Sunflower2102
    Normally, a child's pension is only payable until age 18/23 if in full time education. I would also expect that the child's death grant will be placed into some form of trust until he/she is 18.

Just a thought, but although death grants are paid outside of the estate and cannot legally be used to pay any of the deceased debts - including funeral expenses, most families do use them to pay for the funeral. Does the wife have enough ready cash to do this?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options

Are you sure? I always thought that Death in Service only got paid if the person died ....well in service so not receiving pension income.

As I said before it's none of our business really but it really is an odd situation where a person has prioritised a friend over his wife.....even if they were separated then I would have assumed that his child would have received it entirely.

I do get the impression that there's more to the relationship, especially when we're talking £1000s but as I said it's none of our business .....but it's hard to advise someone when you aren't given all the facts
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Normally, a child's pension is only payable until age 18/23 if in full time education. I would also expect that the child's death grant will be placed into some form of trust until he/she is 18.

You're assuming this is a DB scheme, I think? Could be DC, so quite easy to stipulate that the fund value goes to his offspring.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    “ Normally, a child's pension is only payable until age 18/23 if in full time education. I would also expect that the child's death grant will be placed into some form of trust until he/she is 18.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Marcon wrote: »
    You're assuming this is a DB scheme, I think? Could be DC, so quite easy to stipulate that the fund value goes to his offspring.

True - but if that is the case, that's even more ammunition to my feeling that the child should get the whole lot.

I have a very dear friend who is more like a sister to me. I know that she has willed me a certain piece of jewellery, but the idea that she would leave me (what could be) several £Ks instead of her children/grandchildren is just unthinkable.
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    He has left me a % and far more to his child that wouldn’t sit with me at all otherwise.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This does seem to have become a very judgmental thread, based on (necessarily) limited information from OP, who is grieving the loss of an old and dear friend. The original query related to information about 'the process', so perhaps that's what should be - and indeed has been - answered?
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    That’s exactly it hence querying the
    Process
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business