Death in Service beneficiary

Options

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,696 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    It seems strange, to me, that he would include a friend over his child, that is just my view. I'm guessing if you were best friends you have a relationship with his child. How old is this child. I understand you saying the child is catered for, but I doubt very much the child can afford to turn down half the death in service.

I completely understand it was his wishes, but I don't understand them. And I think the trustees may have difficulty too. Had you been partners, dependant on each other etc than maybe. But a friend over a child really needs more legs I think

The child isn't being asked to turn down half the death in service benefit - OP has said it is split between them in the Expression of Wish form.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    He hasn’t chosen me over his child he was an amazing father. We were the closest of friends so chose me as one of his beneficiaries.

Are you struggling financially? That might explain it.

It’s very unusual for a parent to choose to provide for an adult friend when they have a young child. Generally the child/children are first and often only priority. That’s why people are looking for a reason.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    In fairness to the OP it's nothing to do with us why the friend did what he did nor does it change the answer.

Yes it is odd & probably I guess a lot of people are wondering why he did what he did but would the answer really change the situation?
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    No it’s not financial I’m assuming it’s because I’ve been the one constant in his life and we were the closest of friends.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    No it’s not financial I’m assuming it’s because I’ve been the one constant in his life and we were the closest of friends.

Do you want the money or would you prefer it to go to his child?
  • Marcon
    Options
    Do you want the money or would you prefer it to go to his child?

If you read then first post in this thread, you have your answer.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    Thanks but the first post doesn't provide an answer as he passed away and there is no will.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks but the first post doesn't provide an answer as he passed away and there is no will.

Yes but he was married.
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    I know, just added complexities so will wait and see what happens.
  • Marcon
    Options

I was responding to the question in post 26 - and your first post makes it clear you want your share of the DIS money (otherwise you would simply have indicated to the family/trustees that you didn't want to be included for consideration).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure