Death in Service beneficiary

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Marcon wrote: »
    I was responding to the question in post 26 - and your first post makes it clear you want your share of the DIS money (otherwise you would simply have indicated to the family/trustees that you didn't want to be included for consideration).

As the child has been left provided for, why shouldn't Sunflower accept the last gift from a long term friend?
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    As the child has been left provided for, why shouldn't Sunflower accept the last gift from a long term friend?

I wasn’t offering an opinion either way, but the info would be useful as some posters have replied assuming the OP wants to pass it to the child or the wife.

I know what i’d do if my closest friend had left me money and also left behind a minor child who I presumably know and care about too, but i’m not the one in that position.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Assuming the deceased knew what they were doing when they filled the EOW form in...how is that really any different from him making a will and leaving a specific bequest to the OP???
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice much appreciated. My main concern is the child and I would definitely do the right thing, I am very touched however my closest friend considered me. I will just go along with the process.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, I am sorry for your loss,.

I know all of this is just speculation, but maybe the deceased thought that leaving the friend a portion of the DIS payout would save him making a will, as everything else will go to the family anyway? After all, if he had made a will and bequeathed a similar sum to the OP, I doubt that anyone would have thought anything of it.

OP, in your situation I think I would be humbly thankful that my friend thought enough of me to do this, then just await (and accept) the verdict of the Trustees.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    There is no will and is still legally married hence the potential complexities.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends on what the 'everything else' is. If no will did he have any assets, unusual to have no will if assets were held or is the DISG the only thing he had.
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    Only a pension and DIS. No will or assets.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Only a pension and DIS. No will or assets.

So how has he provided for the child? A pension will go to his wife if allowed and won't be worth much.
  • Sunflower2102
    Options
    This has been split between his child and me. his Pension will automatically go to the child.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure