Best MSE ways to keep your pets cool in the summer heat - 2019

Options

Comments

• squibbs25
    squibbs25 Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone use a damp hanky / bandana to keep their pets cool.

I was thinking of doing it but looking on the net its not really the done thing anymore.
    I looked on her via the search and a couple of threads came up but nothing really mentioned.

So questions is do i or do i not?

If it makes any difference they are both Jack Russells, our boy is almost 10 months old and our girl is 7 1/2 months (theres 6 weeks between them).
    He is short coated whereas she is broken coated.

Thanks in advance.
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
    :Axxxxxxxxx:A
    our new editions
    Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT
  • NewKittenHelp
    NewKittenHelp Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 5 September 2023 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Have you tried ice packs wrapped in thin blankets in their beds?
  • Millie2008_2
    Millie2008_2 Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Echo ice packs or cold water bottles (with ice in) for them to lie against
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The best way to keep a dog cool if they won't drink is to pour a bit of (tepid) water on the head. This keeps the brain cool.

I would avoid taking your dog out in the heat as a general rule- go out early morning before it gets hot or early evening as it cools down.
  • Itsadogslife_2
    Itsadogslife_2 Posts: 805 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Last year Tescos did a half plastic sandpit (blue clam shell type thing) which doubles up as a paddling pool, puppies can find it great fun to play with a ball in the water etc. :D
    Just keep swimming!
  • Miss_Havisham
    Miss_Havisham Posts: 612 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My cat gets really hot too and likes me to sponge his head and little furry body with cool water. He won't sit near a fan though.
  • squibbs25
    squibbs25 Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and suggestions.
    We managed to get a paddling pool yesterday and set that up today.
    Dali (the girl) was more than happy to keep getting and out 'rescuing' the dog toys that had managed to fall in, Senna the boy was happy to stand in it for a few minutes :-) then laid sunbathing while Dali rolled in the dirt + grass to dry off.
    A fun day had by all!

It's strange how no one mentioned about the damp bandana, it must be not the done thing nowadays.
    My beloved dog Molly
    27/05/1997-01/04/2008
    RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
    :Axxxxxxxxx:A
    our new editions
    Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT
  • halfone
    halfone Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    I'm :eek: at how expensive the cool mats are on the 'old' thread linked to above.

My tip - B&M are stocking them £4.99 for small, £9.99 for large. They seem to stay very cool indeed.

I'd like some advice though - I've had a mat for around three weeks and my dog won't venture onto it; you'd think it was a bed of nails. He lies right up close next to it but folds his legs in so no part of him is touching it, not even a single paw. I just laid it down with no fuss for the first week, He ignored it. I've since tried to tempt him on by sitting next to it myself as he loves a fuss - he did sit on it once but moved off it as soon as I got up. I've put a treat on it and he will eat the treat but not lie on the mat. I'm planning just to leave it there in the hope he forgets himself and just lies down on it one day and discovers how nice it is but if anyone has any hints I'd appreciate it. He doesn't seem scared of it, just indifferent. I don't think he realises it's for lying on. Any ideas?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 July 2019 at 1:35AM
    Options
    We live close to a beach and that's a huge help in hot weather. On the three days a week I run with my dogs it's business as usual even when it's hot, but I include on-lead sections where we wade through the waves to guarantee that they stay cool and comfortable.

On walks away from the beach, Ruffwear "swamp cooler" vests work really well. They are crazy expensive these days but we bought ours about 10 years ago when they were more reasonable. Keep them topped up with water every 30 mins or so to keep your dogs much more comfortable, but be prepared for comments like "Are you daft? You put jackets on your dogs in this weather?"

Indoors if it gets really bad I place a frozen gel pack behind a fan. It seems to help get some cooler air flowing, but obviously you need to make sure that the dog can't nab the gel pack.

Edit: Regarding the cool mat, maybe the smell or the texture is off-putting. I don't how big the mat is, but maybe you could slip it inside a recently worn, unwashed t-shirt? It'll reduce the cooling effect a bit but might help make the mat more appealing.
  • Lizzie_BH
    Lizzie_BH Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    We wrap ice packs in towels and leave them around the flat for our cat – or even better, one of the pet blankets that she usually naps on, so she's drawn to it.

We also put ice cubes in her water bowl.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback