WARNING ebay and paypal spoof emails

Options

Comments

• lily23_2
    lily23_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Finally recieved a reply from paypal saying these e-mails aren't from them. Whole thing seems weird as no links or requests for details - just contact my bank. Can't see what they can possibly be getting out of sending them. At least i know there's nothing wrong with my account. Thanks for the help fay. Weird that they came from [EMAIL="service@paypal.co.uk"]service@paypal.co.uk[/EMAIL] yet they have no knowledge of them.
  • phil11
    phil11 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    They are very realistic these fake emails. Hover the mouse pointer over any links in the email and the location of where that link will actually take you will show at the bottom left of your computer screen. Usually a completely different address from the one showing in the fake email.
  • withywood
    withywood Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    i had a email claiming to be from ebay, but as it was not on the email account i use for ebay, i knew it was a fake,

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Dear eBay user, [/FONT] s.gif [FONT=Arial, Verdana]We would like to inform you that we have released a new version of eBay Confirmation form. This form is required to be completed by all eBay users.

Please follow these steps:
    [/FONT]
    :j if my house aint clean enough for you tough
  • turfy6
    turfy6 Posts: 1,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Received this one today from [EMAIL="paypal@services.com"]paypal@services.com[/EMAIL] Dear paypal user unauthorized credit card use associated with this account.

As part of our security measusres, we regularly screen activity in the paypal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account. (NO ONE HAS CONTACTED ME RECENTLY)

We requested information from you for the following reason;

We recently received a report of unauthorised credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution we have limited access to you paypal account in order to protect against future unauthorised transactions.

This goes on to give case Id numbers and a reminder to restore my account asap. Then to download an attached form they thank me for my understanding as they work to ensusre account safety.

I then checked my account no messages etc, then checked on this board and did the roll over the email address to find it was from a an internet banking AIB. So I forwarded this to the spoofatpatpal and pressume it is certainly a spoof.

I hate these things they make me feel very uncomfortable with the internet.

Will let you know if I here back from paypal.
    Visa £[STRIKE]5063 [/STRIKE]now 0. Loan 1 €[STRIKE]4885[/STRIKE] now 0. Loan 2 €29,590 now €0 as of 22/02/2016 Mgage €55000/ €23,639 at 01/02/18
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW Nerd 1209 Keep on keeping on folks DFD FEB 2016 MGE FREE 2024 (hopefully earlier)
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2009 at 9:26PM
    Options
    Heres my latest - i did not send them any blank emails!!! Although weirdly, they have included a blank document with my email signature on it - possible someone hacked my yahoo email account??
    This is my guess for all these mails that don't have links to fake sites and seem that there is no point the scammer sending them:

1. They are trying to get you to hit "reply" and build up some trust with them, eventually you will be asked for your details. Its the only reason i can think of, unless the paypal staff have got LSD in their water supply.

Dear (name chopped by me),

Thank you for contacting PayPal. My name is Mary Rose. I appreciate the
    opportunity to assist you with your questions.

Mr. xxxxxx(chopped by me), I am afraid that you have sent us a blank email in relation to
    your response from a previous agent.

We are unable to proceed with your query as we do not have sufficient
    information. Please provide us with additional information such as:

* Email address registered on your PayPal account.
    * Transaction ID, date, amount or email address the transaction was
    sent to.
    * Case number (if any).
    * What issue are you experiencing?
    * Are you receiving an error message? (If so, please include the full
    error message.)
    * What steps are being taken when you are encountering the issue?
    * Suspicious email received? Forward the entire email to
    spoof@paypal.com.

We appreciate your assistance in resolving your question.

Thank you for your time and patience. Please do not hesitate to email us
    again should you have other concerns.

Sincerely,
    Mary Rose
    Resolution Services Department
    PayPal, an eBay Company

Copyright © 1999-2009 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l.
    & Cie, S.C.A. Soci!t! en Commandite par Actions. Registered Office: 5th
    Floor, 22-24 Boulevard Royal, L-2449, Luxembourg, RCS Luxembourg B 118 349
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • Widelats
    Options
    So if i send it to spoof, and recieve a "yes its spoof" reply, i can sue paypal for trying to scam my account?
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • mandij30
    mandij30 Posts: 132 Forumite
    Options
    Recieved this email today, its the 2nd one I've recieved in a matter of days.

Is it genuine or a spoof do you think ????

You have 24 hours to confirm your PayPal personal information‏
    From:offline16.pngPayPal (service@paypal.co.uk) Sent:25 July 2009 12:42:42To:
    paypal_logo.gif
    [COLOR=#666666 !important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This e-mail was sent to you because we have detected an error in your billing information during our regular schedule account maintenance and verification. This might be due to either following reasons:
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address). [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Submitting invalid information during the initial sign up process. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due an internal error with our processors.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You have 24 hours to click the link below and confirm your PayPal personal information, otherwise your ATM Debit / Credit Card access will become restricted:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click Here[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]© 2009 PayPal.[/FONT]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    :j Things can only get Better :j
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    mandij30 wrote: »
    Recieved this email today, its the 2nd one I've recieved in a matter of days.

Is it genuine or a spoof do you think ????

You have 24 hours to confirm your PayPal personal information‏
    From:offline16.pngPayPal (service@paypal.co.uk) Sent:25 July 2009 12:42:42To:
    paypal_logo.gif

[COLOR=#666666 !important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This e-mail was sent to you because we have detected an error in your billing information during our regular schedule account maintenance and verification. This might be due to either following reasons:
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address). [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Submitting invalid information during the initial sign up process. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due an internal error with our processors.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You have 24 hours to click the link below and confirm your personal information, otherwise your ATM Debit / Credit Card access will become restricted:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]© 2009 PayPal.[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Pushing you into making a hasty decision - 'You have 24 hours' - check
    'Click this link' - check
    Bad spelling / grammar - 'This might be due to either following reasons' - check

I suggest you edit the links out of your post so that they can't be clicked.
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ...I suggest you edit the links out of your post so that they can't be clicked.
    Too late! :o

2eaj67a.jpg

Has Paypal really had it's hosting account removed, ... or was paypal never hosted on a polish hosting site in the first place? :D
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Widelats
    Options
    Just closed my paypal account and got a confirmation email (totally legit) decided to do the spoof test and withiin 2 minutes i get a reply .... LOL

Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
    was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
    reporting the problem, you've made a difference!

Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
    personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
    more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.

Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
    spoof@paypal.com, you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
    theft.

Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
    extra effort.

Thanks,

PayPal

This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User
    Agreement, either PayPal Ince, PayPal Pte. Ltd or PayPal (Europe) S.à
    r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. Soci!t! en Commandite par Actions, Registered Office:
    5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118

Original Message Follows: