PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

August 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    £49.00/£80 in total for the month. Will have 1 more shop next weekend, so I should be within my budget.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just nipped to Lidl for a specific item plus milk and if I remembered (which I did) chilli flakes. Of course I bought more so £14.80 spent. Did get what I went for.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Daughter went to the local Tesco for custard powder - she had to get tinned, so much more expensive than making it yourself.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 August 2019 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Evening All

I have a few spends to declare. We did our big shop for the month yesterday at MrT’s. £62.06 spent, which qualified us for the 10p/litre off fuel voucher. Items purchased included 6 tins of chopped tomatoes* at 28p each - OMG, yes, we actually ran out of tomatoes last week - pasta, pilchards, fresh milk, breakfast cereal, long-life skimmed milk (for when we run out of fresh), and yoghurt. I immediately froze half the fresh milk, when we got home.

We also went to the local Farm Shop, where I bought a dozen eggs, potatoes, carrots, onions, sweetcorn and a head of broccoli. £7.50 spent. You may have seen the stories about cauliflower and broccoli crops failing. Theirs have suffered too but they’re still able to harvest some of their crop.

Today, I went to Lidl, to pick up muscovardo sugar, instant coffee, cream cheese, and some “boring” sausages to go into tonight’s Spicy Sausage and Lentil Casserole. £5.96 spent. (Any highly flavoured sausage would be drowned out in the casserole, hence “boring” sausages are required.)

The sausages were RTC at 76p for 12, normally £1.09 (Lidl’s Simply range). When I got home, my husband asked me if there’d been any more on sale, RTC. I said, “Yes”. “So why didn’t you buy them?”. I pointed out that after our shopping yesterday and today, we have less than £3 left in the kitty.

We also received some coppers in our change, so I’ve extracted them from the kitty. Excluding them, the above brings our total spent for August to £117.20/£120, leaving £2.80 for the remainder of the month. Our month runs to 31st August, so wish me luck!

- Pip

* ETA: normally, I take advantage of the 4 cans for £1 offers on chopped tomatoes, buying 24 cans at a time (about a 6 month supply). MrT runs this offer regularly. I’ve been looking but I haven’t seen the offer for the few couple of months.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 4 spent.

4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've spent a lot since the beginning of August, £106.94 since my last visit to the thread. This is mainly due to taking advantage of money off vouchers and the 25% discount on wines at Mr.S.
    I've got a stock of cat food, which I used to bulk up a £60+ spend at Mr.T, to use a £9 coupon and get a petrol voucher.

As for what we are eating, I made a paella on Saturday from a recipe in the newspaper, using meat cut off some chicken legs. Last night I boiled the remaining meaty bones in stock and have enough to make another meal. I've not decided what exactly to do yet, so it is in the freezer for now. On Sunday I cooked a shoulder of lamb which was YS, and has been in the freezer. The veg (mangetout, runner beans, carrots, potatoes) came from the allotment and pudding was wild blackberry and scrumped apple crumble with ice cream. The left over lamb has been made into a curry, one meal last night and the rest frozen in portions for another day.
    (the apples are growing on a lawned area on the edge of a housing estate I walk through to get to the allotment. It looks uncared for, with lots of fallers around,so I'm reducing waste and recycling into my kitchen)
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £323.97/1200
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spending nothing today or yesterday (on food).
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • jam2019
    jam2019 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So far spent £26.01/£60 - been living pretty well off my freezer so that's kept the spending down a bit. Might even lower the budget a bit next month :)
    Grocery Challenge
    2020: £739.83 / £880
    2019: £166.20 / £220
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nothing spent for the last couple of days. I have £118.84 left this month out of a budget of £398.66

Just looked back over what I bought this month that was unnecessary. Absolutely shocked - I needn't have spent £128.40 (teas and smoked salmon from a posh shop, fish and chips x 2, fudge cake and coffees). If I could save that every month it would be wonderful. I'm feeling a little disappointing with myself.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    nothing spent for the last couple of days. I have £118.84 left this month out of a budget of £398.66

Just looked back over what I bought this month that was unnecessary. Absolutely shocked - I needn't have spent £128.40 (teas and smoked salmon from a posh shop, fish and chips x 2, fudge cake and coffees). If I could save that every month it would be wonderful. I'm feeling a little disappointing with myself.
    I think that`s the ethos of this thread, what you have spent that was unnecessary, and making you think about doing it again.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Been very good but am taking dd and dgs to lunch tomorrow for her b'day and picking up some flowers for her on the way and so going somewhere a little bit more special than our usual 2 for a tenner. Also invited young neighbour as she recently got great exam results and landed a p/t job at Sain..., also taking driving lessons so she is mega excited and longing to tell my dd too. Thats going to cost me and then out for lunch with "gang" on Friday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport